Eastern Box Turtle Laid An Egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
yagyujubei said:
I found an egg a couple of weeks ago that had a dent, laid on top of the ground. Put in the incubator, it developed a tear at the edge of the dent, similar to yours. After another week, the dent got a lot bigger, and I discarded it.

Also, eggs can stay at room temp for a long time before they go bad.



-When i found the egg, it already had the dent && tear on it. But when you look into the tear, its not an open hole.
 

foxboysracing

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
176
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
I would give it a try. It can't hurt. You really haven't lost anything if you try. But, if you discard it now, without more proof it's bad, then you may always wonder. I say give it a shot. You never know. Usually if they are going to go bad and rot, they will do it within the first week or so. But, keep in mind that just because it makes it past that point won't mean it's fertile. But, let's hope and pray. who knows? Maybe you will end up with the cutest baby ever. Do your best, and give up when it's obvious nothing could be living inside. You will know when that time is. :) :)
 

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
foxboysracing said:
I would give it a try. It can't hurt. You really haven't lost anything if you try. But, if you discard it now, without more proof it's bad, then you may always wonder. I say give it a shot. You never know. Usually if they are going to go bad and rot, they will do it within the first week or so. But, keep in mind that just because it makes it past that point won't mean it's fertile. But, let's hope and pray. who knows? Maybe you will end up with the cutest baby ever. Do your best, and give up when it's obvious nothing could be living inside. You will know when that time is. :) :)

-Thank you for the support. Im trying my best to keep the egg warm && a little moist. I just hope the egg is fertile.
 

foxboysracing

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
176
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
I am starting to suspect my egg might not be fertile either.... :( But, I will keep it in there until I KNOW it is not fertile, or it starts to rot. I am still holding out hope. Picturing a super cute little hatchling is enough to make it worth keeping it "just right". The best of luck to you.

Mine was laid on 10/01 unexpectedly by a eastern that I had rescued. I have had her for quite awhile and got her well and healthy again. I found her a great home with people who knew exactly what she needed and who I felt could give her a wonderful home. As I was watching her settle in, she went into her new water and laid an egg. Crazy. :) Very unexpected. She had been in with my other boxies and I had seen some 'activity'. So, who knows??? It's worth a try to me......
Dawn
 

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
foxboysracing said:
I am starting to suspect my egg might not be fertile either.... :( But, I will keep it in there until I KNOW it is not fertile, or it starts to rot. I am still holding out hope. Picturing a super cute little hatchling is enough to make it worth keeping it "just right". The best of luck to you.

Mine was laid on 10/01 unexpectedly by a eastern that I had rescued. I have had her for quite awhile and got her well and healthy again. I found her a great home with people who knew exactly what she needed and who I felt could give her a wonderful home. As I was watching her settle in, she went into her new water and laid an egg. Crazy. :) Very unexpected. She had been in with my other boxies and I had seen some 'activity'. So, who knows??? It's worth a try to me......
Dawn

-Im just hoping for the best. My egg still looks the same && its not rotting. Hmmmm. I just gotta wait. Also, i took pictures of the mama that laid the egg :)
 

Attachments

  • image-3560395196.png
    image-3560395196.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • image-1257395159.png
    image-1257395159.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
-So its been a week since she laid her egg && the egg looks good :) Today i looked at the egg && the deflated part && tear look like their fixing itself. The deflated part isnt that deflated anymore && the tear/hole is closing! So there obviously should be a baby in this egg.
 

foxboysracing

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
176
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
BaddestMarie said:
-So its been a week since she laid her egg && the egg looks good :) Today i looked at the egg && the deflated part && tear look like their fixing itself. The deflated part isnt that deflated anymore && the tear/hole is closing! So there obviously should be a baby in this egg.

I am so happy for you!!!! If the humidity is right the dent will sometimes come out. You would think by now it would have rotted if it wasn't fertile, but in the back of my brain I remember an egg that did that, and still never hatched. I want to warn you, that it still may not be fertile or hatch, without being a "debbie downer". Just stay positive and remember that if you get a baby it is a blessing, and if you don't then you have enjoyed spending some time and very little money and can try again later. :)

My egg still looks good too. My dent is completely gone too, and the crack I had is gone. :D Let's cross our fingers. :D:D:D:D
 

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
foxboysracing said:
I am so happy for you!!!! If the humidity is right the dent will sometimes come out. You would think by now it would have rotted if it wasn't fertile, but in the back of my brain I remember an egg that did that, and still never hatched. I want to warn you, that it still may not be fertile or hatch, without being a "debbie downer". Just stay positive and remember that if you get a baby it is a blessing, and if you don't then you have enjoyed spending some time and very little money and can try again later. :)

My egg still looks good too. My dent is completely gone too, and the crack I had is gone. :D Let's cross our fingers. :D:D:D:D

-I looked at the my egg today && the whole dent is totally gone :) I took pictures of the progress. Not sure if you can tell if the dent is gone in the pics tho.
 

Attachments

  • image-1297521955.png
    image-1297521955.png
    452 KB · Views: 32
  • image-1581217597.png
    image-1581217597.png
    541.2 KB · Views: 37

foxboysracing

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
176
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Any new news? Mine is about the same. she did finally lay another egg last week. I incubated it and it caved in from the bottom and fell in. It needed to be discarded. It was obvious. My other egg still looks the same. still no dent again. No cracks. I held it over a light, and it doesn't look like there is anything going on inside at all. But then again, who knows. I am keeping it int he incubator until its obvious its going to hatch or be start rotting... Let's hope for the best!!! :) :) :)
 

zesty_17

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
414
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
it could be an old egg that she has retained and finally laid for you. retained eggs tend to be discolored and over-calicified.
 

BaddestMarie

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
49
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
foxboysracing said:
Any new news? Mine is about the same. she did finally lay another egg last week. I incubated it and it caved in from the bottom and fell in. It needed to be discarded. It was obvious. My other egg still looks the same. still no dent again. No cracks. I held it over a light, and it doesn't look like there is anything going on inside at all. But then again, who knows. I am keeping it int he incubator until its obvious its going to hatch or be start rotting... Let's hope for the best!!! :) :) :)

-My egg looks the same. No new dents. The old dent isnt even there anymore && the egg hasnt rotted out yet. I hope it hatches :)

zesty_17 said:
it could be an old egg that she has retained and finally laid for you. retained eggs tend to be discolored and over-calicified.

-The egg isnt hard like its old. The egg had a dent before && now the dents gone. The egg also hasnt even rotted out yet.
 

gmarie808

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
8
Yay for you both! Our eggs became more dented as the days went by even with the warm vaporizer on them. My bf had the stomach to open one of them, he said it looked like a regular egg (yolk and clear whites). I don't think they were fertile to begin with. He doesn't believe Shelly would lay infertile eggs, he doesn't see how that is possible. I tried explaining it to him but he doesn't share my logic. I have come to the conclusion that our box turtles cannot make viable eggs because they are different kinds of box turtles. Our male seems to be a 3-Toed and our female is an Ornate. Anyone concur?
 

turtlemann2

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
787
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
ornates and three toed boxie CAN and WILL make babies although it is usually looked down upon, creating hybrids that is, Although female box turtles can and Will lay infertile eggs very similer to chickens they lay eggs when no rooster is present its just what they do,

My three toed female just layed a pair of eggs on the 17th :) except i posted in the box turtle forum. oops
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top