EASTERN BOX OR PAINTED EGGS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Okay, 4 weeks ago my other half was getting his dirt bike out and saw what he thought was a Eastern Box turtle laying eggs at the end of our driveway. Looking at pictures of eggs it looks as though it might even be painted turtle eggs. Does anyone know for sure? He just says he's pretty sure it was an Eastern. BTW, we did try the chicken wire covering thing for protection, but found a raccoon messing with it and didn't wanna take a chance of him getting them. Back in May we had at least 50 painted hatchlings running in our yard.We let them be so they could make it to the lake. I added a pic of one. They were so cute

krb1093 said:
Okay, 4 weeks ago my other half was getting his dirt bike out and saw what he thought was a Eastern Box turtle laying eggs at the end of our driveway. Looking at pictures of eggs it looks as though it might even be painted turtle eggs. Does anyone know for sure? He just says he's pretty sure it was an Eastern. BTW, we did try the chicken wire covering thing for protection, but found a raccoon messing with it and didn't wanna take a chance of him getting them. Back in May we had at least 50 painted hatchlings running in our yard.We let them be so they could make it to the lake. I added a pic of one. They were so cute
Um ok, anyone know if you can tell a difference some how?

Attachments

• turtles 002.JPG
    turtles 002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • turtles 1 month 004.JPG
    turtles 1 month 004.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 16
  • turtles 1 month 007.JPG
    turtles 1 month 007.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 15
  • turtles 1 month 012.JPG
    turtles 1 month 012.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
  • turtles 1 month 014.JPG
    turtles 1 month 014.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 14
  • movies 007.JPG
    movies 007.JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 41

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I really have no idea. Although judging by your research, and the fact you have seen hatchling painteds in the area, the chances are good that they are painteds?

I don't know enough about the reproductive habits of either to really say.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They kinda don't look like box turtle eggs to me, but I've been wrong before. What a cute little baby turtle.

krb1093

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
They kinda don't look like box turtle eggs to me, but I've been wrong before. What a cute little baby turtle.
Yes, they were all SUPER CUTE!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Can't see the one at top, but the 4 in the center look like painted and the one at the bottom looks boxie, I guess it's possible,maybe....

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've never seen painted eggs before, but those look pretty much just like the EBT eggs I was replanting 10 minutes ago.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Mgridgaway said:
I've never seen painted eggs before, but those look pretty much just like the EBT eggs I was replanting 10 minutes ago.
Thanks, I figured it would be hard since the two look a lot alike. I guess it will be a great surprise when the hatch.Uuuuugh the wait is killing me.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.