Early Eastern Risers

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've seen 2 eastern box turtles already this spring. This one Saturday. She was out in the big yard and honestly I don't recognize her as one of mine. Picture 001.jpgAnd this one today. I just happen to notice this little fellow as I was trimming a mulberry tree in the front yard. This is now a wild one that escaped the back yard while it was small enough to fit through the fencing. Picture 004.jpg I didn't bother it (just took the pic) and let it alone.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 7

m irwin

Dallas
Great pics - I loved reading "I didn't bother it (just took the pic) and let it alone". This is the way it should be - observe and admire. So many video's on YouTube showing people picking up turtles, flipping them all around for 30+ minutes to talk about them, and then releasing. The turtle probably has to sit still for days just to recover!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i seen 4 after work tuesday , one baby , it was 75 degrees , it's been in the 20's since ..... i did go around tuesday evening as it was getting dark and looked for anything that was out and put them back in the leaf pile , the weather predicted this ........ i looked wednesday to see if anything came back out , i didn't find any , today everything is snow covered and still in the 20's .....

DSCF7061.jpg

DSCF7055.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
I couldn't open his original thread so I'll just post it here, Tiny showed up today, he spent the winter outside of the winter enclosure. He hatched here in September 2011 and is still the smallest box turtle born here. He looks great and has good weight. Picture 005 copy.jpgPicture 002 copy.jpgHe is smaller than an average 9 to 10 year eastern male but other than that everything else is normal.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I couldn't open his original thread so I'll just post it here, Tiny showed up today, he spent the winter outside of the winter enclosure. He hatched here in September 2011 and is still the smallest box turtle born here. He looks great and has good weight. View attachment 322432View attachment 322433He is smaller than an average 9 to 10 year eastern male but other than that everything else is normal.
No offense, but he kind of looks rode hard & put away muddy. Glad to see he survived brumation. What does staying out of the winter enclosure mean?

Len B

10 Year Member!
No offense, but he kind of looks rode hard & put away muddy. Glad to see he survived brumation. What does staying out of the winter enclosure mean?
I think he looks great for just coming from a nice winter sleep. His cleanliness suggest that he didn't dig down but spent the winter under a pile of leaf debris. I have a 16x24 ft pen that as the fall temps start to drop I will gather up as many turtles as I can and put them in it for winter. But I don't always find them all.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I couldn't open his original thread so I'll just post it here, Tiny showed up today, he spent the winter outside of the winter enclosure. He hatched here in September 2011 and is still the smallest box turtle born here. He looks great and has good weight. View attachment 322432View attachment 322433He is smaller than an average 9 to 10 year eastern male but other than that everything else is normal.
He looks great! It must be such a thrill to be able to see him survive naturally on his own through the winter, and one day just reappear in the sunshine. Thanks for sharing this.

Jan A

Boulder, CO