Dug up eggs at 11:30 PM lol

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
So two nights ago I went out late to check on my tortoises in the shed and I noticed my oldest sulcata female had what I call "muddy butt" which is a tell tell sign that she had laid. So with my phone flashlight I searched the yard and easily found the bombshell area lol. She laid in the drizzling rain but harder rain was on the way so I knew I had to get them out ASAP because the Louisiana ground holds water extremely well and I didn't want them to be drowned out. So I dug up 16 eggs (one was already cracked) with just my hands and my phone's flashlight ....NOT EASY. But it all worked out except for my wife thinking I'm absolutely crazy lol.
This is her 3rd nest this year and she has laid every nest in similar temperature (73-75 degrees) in similar conditions (during a light rain) in the same general area of the yard . I'm curious to see if she lays again this year if the weather stays mild enough down here in south Louisiana.ImageUploadedByTortForum1383932120.497063.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383932132.020487.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383932148.403990.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
COOL!!! (Literally- ha ha!) and Good Luck! Hope you get lots of babies!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks...I'm hoping for at least...15 lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do the same thing, although not in the rain since that almost never happens here. My wife just rolls her eyes anymore. She already KNOWS I'm crazy. Tortoise crazy, at least.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Dug up eggs at 11:30 PM lol

Tom said:
I do the same thing, although not in the rain since that almost never happens here. My wife just rolls her eyes anymore. She already KNOWS I'm crazy. Tortoise crazy, at least.

:D You cray- cray ;) haha.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Cool deal... You should breed Radiateds and hook me up with some babies ;)

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I love love love rads fell in love with one at the Birmingham zoo. That and the huge yellowfoots they had. Probably 20+ inchers. My son and I would have been content to look at them all day long.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Very awesome. Yeah for the muddy butt tell. Good luck!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If it wasn't for the muddy butt I would have never known. The rain would have washed away the evidence around the nest. Gooooo muddy butt!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm in Covington, LA- in the southeast "toe of the boot". Seems like lots of forum members in Louisiana!!:)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
We might have to make a Louisiana thread soon ;)

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
yes!! lets me our own louisiana thread! new orleans here!!

anddddd congrats on the eggs! hoping they all hatch out!! :)

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I'm originally from the Nola area. Got my tort there and everything. I miss home but now I live at the beach. :-D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MalKC said:
I'm originally from the Nola area. Got my tort there and everything. I miss home but now I live at the beach. :-D

I have one that likes to lay very late at night, Im always tempted to leave her out all night to finish. I never have due to the fact that we have racoons running around in the middle of the night. Good luck with your eggs