Dudley's Walk-about

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Kapidolo Farms @maggie3fan I know you both will appreciate this thread.

This is the south fence of Dudley's yard, with Texas and Russians and DCTs on the other side of it:

Dudley's walkabout a.jpg

Walking west along the fence, we come to this, the area with Texas tortoises on the other side:

Dudley's walkabout b.jpg

And then the fence between the Texas tortoises and the CDTs. Off in the distance you can see the shelter I started tearing down, and a big space where there used to be a separating fence between the CDTs and the Russians:

dudley's walkabout c.jpg

A closer look at the space separating the CDTs from the Russians:

Dudley's walkabout d.jpg

And the piece de resistance:

Dudley's walkabout e.jpg

Here's Dudley, in all his glory, in the Russian yard! Why oh why couldn't he have done this when my house was full of company? I had to wrangle all 100+ pounds of him all by myself back into his own yard, then into his shelter so I could close the door on him and lock it. And, of course, you know he didn't want to go the way I wanted him to go. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get him through the broken fences, so I opened the Russian gate and Dudley's gate and tried to herd him that way. No--o-o-o, of course, he's NOT going that way. Up onto the front porch, tipping over my lawn chair, barreling through my potted Sansevarias, Under the porch swing, which I had to raise up off his back before he pulled the screws out of the overhead. Then he headed towards the garage. I spied my wagon so I quickly pulled the wagon over in front of him, making him change direction. And he was not just meandering, he was MARCHING! Using the wagon I was able to direct him towards his gate. Took about 10 minutes to go about 15'. I quickly closed his gate and rushed over to the broken fence. I have a bit of a rotten stump that's just laying in his yard, so I put the pieces of it (every time I tried to pick it up, pieces broke off) behind the fence to hold it up then went back to him to try to make him go into his house. Once he actually SAW his doorway (before this he was just marching and not really looking where he was going) he went right in. I slammed his door shut, but it wouldn't close all the way, I couldn't get the pin in. I had to open it and scrape the poop out of the door jamb. Thankfully I was able to get it cleared before he decided to come back out. All this was happening as dusk was falling. It was getting darker and darker, and he was getting pushier and pushier, trying to find his safe place for the night.

So tomorrow, instead of the work I had planned, I have to repair fences. And wouldn't you know it? This portion of rotten fence is in the area where the City was going to tear down the fence to put in my new driveway. So I have to waste good wood to keep that monster contained.

Once a tortoise has learned there's more to the world than what's inside his four walls, they want back out. I only hope I can keep him contained until the City has replaced fences on the side of my new driveway. He'll be living in my backyard until the City work is finished. If I can keep Dudley in his yard until this week-end I'm going to ask my son-in-law to come over and load the critter up in the wheelbarrow so I can move him around to the back yard where the fences aren't over 25 years old and rotten.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry to laugh, but that Dudley, what a huge pain in the arse but I bet so worth it. Well at least most days, well some days. Lol
OMG! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...so I laughed...but Y...in case you don't know Sulcata are FOOD driven and Dudley eats anything....lololololololololol you shoulda run and got food...he'd follow...sorry...it musta been kinda funny to you too...or ya wouldn't have told us...lolol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

This is the south fence of Dudley's yard, with Texas and Russians and DCTs on the other side of it:

View attachment 335261

Walking west along the fence, we come to this, the area with Texas tortoises on the other side:

View attachment 335262

And then the fence between the Texas tortoises and the CDTs. Off in the distance you can see the shelter I started tearing down, and a big space where there used to be a separating fence between the CDTs and the Russians:

View attachment 335263

View attachment 335264

View attachment 335265

Here's Dudley, in all his glory, in the Russian yard! Why oh why couldn't he have done this when my house was full of company? I had to wrangle all 100+ pounds of him all by myself back into his own yard, then into his shelter so I could close the door on him and lock it. And, of course, you know he didn't want to go the way I wanted him to go. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get him through the broken fences, so I opened the Russian gate and Dudley's gate and tried to herd him that way. No--o-o-o, of course, he's NOT going that way. Up onto the front porch, tipping over my lawn chair, barreling through my potted Sansevarias, Under the porch swing, which I had to raise up off his back before he pulled the screws out of the overhead. Then he headed towards the garage. I spied my wagon so I quickly pulled the wagon over in front of him, making him change direction. And he was not just meandering, he was MARCHING! Using the wagon I was able to direct him towards his gate. Took about 10 minutes to go about 15'. I quickly closed his gate and rushed over to the broken fence. I have a bit of a rotten stump that's just laying in his yard, so I put the pieces of it (every time I tried to pick it up, pieces broke off) behind the fence to hold it up then went back to him to try to make him go into his house. Once he actually SAW his doorway (before this he was just marching and not really looking where he was going) he went right in. I slammed his door shut, but it wouldn't close all the way, I couldn't get the pin in. I had to open it and scrape the poop out of the door jamb. Thankfully I was able to get it cleared before he decided to come back out. All this was happening as dusk was falling. It was getting darker and darker, and he was getting pushier and pushier, trying to find his safe place for the night.

So tomorrow, instead of the work I had planned, I have to repair fences. And wouldn't you know it? This portion of rotten fence is in the area where the City was going to tear down the fence to put in my new driveway. So I have to waste good wood to keep that monster contained.

Once a tortoise has learned there's more to the world than what's inside his four walls, they want back out. I only hope I can keep him contained until the City has replaced fences on the side of my new driveway. He'll be living in my backyard until the City work is finished. If I can keep Dudley in his yard until this week-end I'm going to ask my son-in-law to come over and load the critter up in the wheelbarrow so I can move him around to the back yard where the fences aren't over 25 years old and rotten.
I can't help but laugh too but not too much. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I have a rabbit and a tortoise that do the same stuff when they find out they can. They aren't the size of a bulldozer though. But they can be really annoying ?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

View attachment 335261

View attachment 335262

View attachment 335263

View attachment 335264

View attachment 335265

I am not sorry for laughing at this! You’re a great story teller, and I’m glad to know this s**t happens to other people too. I don’t have a big tortoise, but I’ve had my “Lucy and Ethel“ moments myself. If I didn’t live on the east coast I’d come and help you myself. Good luck!

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Stubborn devil's they are! Been there done that with my guy too. My Sal has a habit of breaking into the house when we forget to lock our sliding door or leave it open a crack. He's learned that he can open it and come in and make a huge mess of things. He loves it! Usually I can lure him back out with a large bright orange cup I keep handy just for that purpose waving it in front of him and head him towards the door. My Sal is over 165 lbs. now so there's no picking him up. All you can do is aim him towards the door!
Dudley's a beauty by the way!