dubia roaches for a boxie?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have a friend who is starting a colony of dubia roaches. Are these good for my three toe and do you have to cut head or smash them because I'm a sissy about that kinda thing.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine had a tough time catching them. You can hold them with long forceps if you want. I found it easiest to smash the head and leave it upside down on the food tray. They still wiggle for quite along time that way. As soon as Millie saw that wiggle she'd come a runnin'.

Millie was a Gulf Coast Box turtle by the way.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks, will the roaches harm the turtle if left alive in there @Tom ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck with them. I have a colony started for my chameleon. They still creep me out. I have a hard time holding them in the tongs and I have not been able to touch them yet. The bad part, they seem to stay still when not being bothered or in the day light. My chameleon being so slow, they stop moving by the time I get his attention with them. Hopefully Toms way will work for you. I might have to try it, but yuck, it sounds gross.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, will the roaches harm the turtle if left alive in there @Tom ?

No. That is one of the benefits of roaches over crickets. They also won't survive for very long outside the enclosure unless they find food, water and a tropical humid environment somewhere else in your house.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No. That is one of the benefits of roaches over crickets. They also won't survive for very long outside the enclosure unless they find food, water and a tropical humid environment somewhere else in your house.
Crickets can harm the box turtle if left in the enclosure?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Crickets can harm the box turtle if left in the enclosure?
I read that crickets will eat at a turtle if there is no other food source..... I had a few which multiplied unchecked. Now I have to get them out so I am trading crickets for roaches to my friend with a bearded dragon!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I read that crickets will eat at a turtle if there is no other food source..... I had a few which multiplied unchecked. Now I have to get them out so I am trading crickets for roaches to my friend with a bearded dragon!
Yikes! now I'm glad I haven't put any crickets in the enclosure for a very long time. I could never keep them alive long enough to feed them to my Boxturtle :) I almost bought some of those roaches at the reptile show I went to, but I hesitated. worms don't bother me, super worms are okay but roaches are just crossing a line.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
But, roaches is a very good food source. Yes, crickets will chew on tortoises, however, I had an explosion of them once in my leopards pen, when he was a babe and because he always had food available, they never bothered him. And I mean I had an explosion of them:D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have been inspecting my boxie daily with no issues but like you said, there is always food in there. I now have a ton of them and a ton of pill bugs. Can't grow a plant to save my life but bugs, no problem :eek:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been inspecting my boxie daily with no issues but like you said, there is always food in there. I now have a ton of them and a ton of pill bugs. Can't grow a plant to save my life but bugs, no problem :eek:
Yep, I hear YA. Same over here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Crickets will sometimes chew on a sleeping reptile. For a little guy like a baby beardie, small chameleon or small leopard gecko it can be quite dangerous. I suppose it could be a problem for an adult box turtle if there were enough crickets and they got into its eyes or the soft skin where the legs meet the body.