DT - transitioning to hibernation

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi All,

Parker had his first summer outside this year. He even slept out at night.
It is now getting down to abt 50 degrees, 48 last night. So he’s sleeping inside abt a week.
how should I make the transition....I bring him in earlier and take out later already.
Last year, he just slept in his habitat indoors. He did okay, but I don’t think it was cool enough. Going to change that up. New hab for next Spring. Can he hibernate just in a simple box with something in and under. He was under half planting pot in his old place, but he’s grown out it.
Should I feed him less? How do I know when he's ready. Prev yrs, he just stopped earring didn’t come out of his ‘pot’.

Anyway, any info on this transition Will be much appreciated.
Thx.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm trying to remember...is he a DT? Uh...duh! Just saw it in the title!

Regardless of species, if he's a tort that brumates, at some point he needs to stop eating.

I just wrote a post on this a short time ago. It explains the whole process.

Last edited:

AZGirl

Arizona
I'm trying to remember...is he a DT? Uh...duh! Just saw it in the title!

Regardless of species, if he's a tort that brumates, at some point he needs to stop eating.

I just wrote a post on this a short time ago. It explains the whole process.

Thank you @KarenSoCal. I also did some searches on Hibernation and found some good info. I think I’ll keep taking him out daily if temps remain moderate. I’m soaking him daily and he is still eating. (I’ve read last meal needs to be 4-6 weeks before brumating!!! If that’s true, I better not offer food now and keep him awake into November?i

I have to catch him before it gets to about 3pm now or the little shite goes and hides on me. Then I don’t sleep. The issue here in high desert AZ is 30-40 degree fluctuations between day and nighttime temps.
I will read your write up. Thanks again for the reply!! Parker thanks you too! ????

AZGirl

Arizona
Also trying to figure out if he’s ‘fat’ enough for brumation. Looking for ‘fat pads’ but very hard to tell. I did get a good glimpse of his tongue the other day and it looked a nice light to med pink. This pic, I put some calcium on his feeding today -he was soaking when I brought out his food, thought he hpwas gonna jump out of his soak dish-anyway, he looked funny with all the white on his beak! ??

Attachments

• 2C529986-7042-4B2B-8A1D-37F7E6DE7D36.jpeg
    2C529986-7042-4B2B-8A1D-37F7E6DE7D36.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I’ve read last meal needs to be 4-6 weeks before brumating!!!

I've never heard so long a time. Chug lived outside, and he would really slow down his eating. That when I would stop offering any food. Any time after 2 weeks, I'd use the weather to determine when to put him in the fridge.

The issue here in high desert AZ is 30-40 degree fluctuations between day and nighttime temps.

I'm in low desert, and have the same issue, thus using the fridge.

Chug was a late brumator (don't know if that's a word). He didn't slow down until mid November.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scroll down to post number 19 for the answers to all your questions and more: