Drymarchon melanurus unicolor

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Very happy for you Tom!! Love to share in your excitement. So will be following...
My daughter has her first snake for a couple of months now. She has been wanting one for quite some time. I help her take care of him. And I love it, haha!!

And about spouses, it is the other way around here. Lol And both my children love Tortoises and Reptiles.

I think little Tex is georgeous!!
What species is your daughter starting with?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am interested in how you will keep your little one stimulated enough when it comes to feeding time. As you mentioned: "I think it is because they are active hunters that chase down and subdue their prey" and this being the case how do you create or re-create that kind of environment when in captivity. I am not sure if I have put it correctly, anyway hopefully you do.
We just feed them pre-killed, frozen/thawed foods in captivity. This suits the snakes just fine, is much safer for them, and much more humane for the prey. There is no need to feed live prey for the majority of captive snakes. My snake will get his stimulation elsewhere.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
We just feed them pre-killed, frozen/thawed foods in captivity. This suits the snakes just fine, is much safer for them, and much more humane for the prey. There is no need to feed live prey for the majority of captive snakes. My snake will get his stimulation elsewhere.
Aaahhh. Okay. Was just wondering. Good to know that it is not necessary.

Reactions: Tom
N

no one

What species is your daughter starting with?

The Pantherophis Gutattus Gutattus if I am correct, a lavender snow cornsnake. A little male with a "knik" in his tale. My daugther wanted him because he is different, and others didn't want him because of the "knik".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Pantherophis Gutattus Gutattus if I am correct, a lavender snow cornsnake. A little male with a "knik" in his tale. My daugther wanted him because he is different, and others didn't want him because of the "knik".
I'm familiar with corn snakes, but I had to look up that latin name. The scientists have changed another old familiar name on me…

Great species. I like them a lot. So many colors to choose from now too.

N

no one

I think it is a great species too, very friendly and easy going. It is much more fun having him in our family then I expected. But I have no experience with other species though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the new baby is eating and will be ready to go soon, BUT, there is a new development! I spent this weekend at the reptile show with my friend who is the breeder of these snakes. The show was over sold and I couldn't get my own booth, but John let me use 4 feet of his booth to peddle my tortoises and roaches. A customer of his who bought a hatchling female unicolor last year brought it back to him. He was about to put in in his display for sale when he paused, looked over at me, and says: "Hey Tom… do you think you'd ever want to breed your snake?" I looked at him, looked at the snake in his hand and replied "SOLD!" This one is unrelated to my new little male hatchling and its a year older. I'm in love with it and so is my daughter! She has that unique cribo intensity, yet also has the distinct cribo tameness and handleability. I had to tell my daughter to put her away and giver her a break every so often. These pics were taken over the course of two days at the show:
IMG_6495.JPG Ava W: Star copy.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

Obviously they will live separately, but now we will have TWO new snakes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's great! I bet you went home and built her enclosure first thing! [emoji2]
At this size you just keep them in plastic tubs, but yes, I've had two enclosures set up and ready since the male hatched. I figured I'd have two enclosures so when cleaning time comes, I can move him to the clean one and clean the soiled one at my leisure. Now I'll have to make TWO more!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
and clean the soiled one at my leisure. Now I'll have to make TWO more!

Leisure? Leisure?? I don't believe you know what that is! You remind me of my friend whose idea of a great day off is to mow the 2 acre yard, do repairs around the house, wash and detail all 3 cars, bathe the pets...then go have some lunch. Then back to it til dusk.

I just know you are like that...sandwich in one hand, hammer in the other, and between bites advising your daughter how to help.

While you chew, you listen to her chatter about teachers and the latest school craze. Then your wife walks in, checking on you two, and your heart nearly bursts with just how precious these moments are.

And in a little while, 2 little snakes will each have a regular home and a vacation home...all lovingly decorated by your daughter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leisure? Leisure?? I don't believe you know what that is! You remind me of my friend whose idea of a great day off is to mow the 2 acre yard, do repairs around the house, wash and detail all 3 cars, bathe the pets...then go have some lunch. Then back to it til dusk.

I just know you are like that...sandwich in one hand, hammer in the other, and between bites advising your daughter how to help.

While you chew, you listen to her chatter about teachers and the latest school craze. Then your wife walks in, checking on you two, and your heart nearly bursts with just how precious these moments are.

And in a little while, 2 little snakes will each have a regular home and a vacation home...all lovingly decorated by your daughter.
Have you been watching me from those government spy satellites I keep hearing about???

You know what's funny? I feel like I'm a naturally lazy person. I just have a lot to get done. :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
So the new baby is eating and will be ready to go soon, BUT, there is a new development! I spent this weekend at the reptile show with my friend who is the breeder of these snakes. The show was over sold and I couldn't get my own booth, but John let me use 4 feet of his booth to peddle my tortoises and roaches. A customer of his who bought a hatchling female unicolor last year brought it back to him. He was about to put in in his display for sale when he paused, looked over at me, and says: "Hey Tom… do you think you'd ever want to breed your snake?" I looked at him, looked at the snake in his hand and replied "SOLD!" This one is unrelated to my new little male hatchling and its a year older. I'm in love with it and so is my daughter! She has that unique cribo intensity, yet also has the distinct cribo tameness and handleability. I had to tell my daughter to put her away and giver her a break every so often. These pics were taken over the course of two days at the show:
View attachment 248166 View attachment 248167

View attachment 248168

Obviously they will live separately, but now we will have TWO new snakes!

Gorgeous snake(s) and I think your daughter was much smaller last time I was active here! [emoji23]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Star, the yearling female came home today. I didn't take any pics of her today, but here is the enclosure. I was going to start her in a smaller tub, but John felt it would be okay to let her be in something bigger. As long as she eats well, she should be fine with all the extra space, and John commented that she's a "savage" when it comes to food. I've got two humid hides, two dry hides and two water sources. A little overkill, but better too much water and hiding spaces than not enough.
IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

N

no one

That is a very nice set up! Congrats on the female snake aswell!

Nun-Saram, the snake of my daughter loves the lay in/under his aquarium plant, besides his favourite hide. It is a little red bush. Just an idea... *glimlach*

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Star, the yearling female came home today. I didn't take any pics of her today, but here is the enclosure. I was going to start her in a smaller tub, but John felt it would be okay to let her be in something bigger. As long as she eats well, she should be fine with all the extra space, and John commented that she's a "savage" when it comes to food. I've got two humid hides, two dry hides and two water sources. A little overkill, but better too much water and hiding spaces than not enough.
View attachment 248714

View attachment 248716

View attachment 248717
Love it. Looks really nice.