Drymarchon melanurus unicolor

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Anybody here familiar with the cribos? I've always loved the easterns, but they were out of my price range when I was younger and they are out of my temperature range now. In college we had a "Texas" indigo that I fell in love with. I used to carry Tex around and introduce him to all the people on the zoo. Years went by and every time I looked into it, nobody had a "Texas Indigo" that looked like my Tex. I found out yesterday that "Tex" was a different subspecies of D. melanurus. The Texas Indigo is D. melanurus erebennus. My beloved snake of yesteryear was actually a D. melanurus unicolor. And now I'm pretty sure he was a she. All these years I've been looking for the wrong snake!

Turns out that two of my friends are top breeders of all of the different types of Drymarchon. I think they have and breed all of them and their snakes and their operation is amazing. I've known Chris for a few years, and I'm working with John right now on an episode of one of my TV series. John schooled me yesterday on all the different species and subspecies. I learned so many things that I didn't know about these snakes that I've always loved so much. Well all of the babies for this year are hatching out right now. I got to see some of them actually emerging from their eggs and I got to hold a couple of the unicolor babies. It was pretty late at night and I didn't think to get pics but you can best see pics of what they look like on their website: http://www.blackpearlreptiles.com

I haven't owned my own snake for a long time. I've always like them and have my favorite species, but I'm so busy with the tortoises, roaches, tarantulas, my job, my family, all my hobbies, etc…, I just haven't wanted one more thing to take care of. Well, that has changed! After lots of discussion, we think that my temps will be okay for this subspecies. John starts the babies eating for a couple of months, and when my baby is ready, he'll let me know.

I'll try to get pics, but here is what they look like as adults:
images.jpeg

wccmog10

Georgia
Drymarchon is a cool group of snakes. I've never worked with any of the cribos, but I've taken care of a few eastern indigos. I would love to have an eastern at home and I could use it for education as well, they are just so expensive. Here in GA you have to be permitted to have easterns. Only thing I would caution you about is the amount of defication. I have cleaned the same cage 3 times in one day for an eastern indigo. They just poop constantanly. And they will even smear it all over the walls like a monkey. Not sure if you have any memories of that from your "Tex".
I've heard of your friend- I'm pretty sure some of my friends have some of his Texas indigos. He looks like he has very good success with drymarchon.

-Wade

daniellenc

Maryland
Love the indigos but out of my price range lol. Can't wait to see yours. How big does the species you're looking at get? The one's in Florida I fawn over are out of my size range as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Drymarchon is a cool group of snakes. I've never worked with any of the cribos, but I've taken care of a few eastern indigos. I would love to have an eastern at home and I could use it for education as well, they are just so expensive. Here in GA you have to be permitted to have easterns. Only thing I would caution you about is the amount of defication. I have cleaned the same cage 3 times in one day for an eastern indigo. They just poop constantanly. And they will even smear it all over the walls like a monkey. Not sure if you have any memories of that from your "Tex".
I've heard of your friend- I'm pretty sure some of my friends have some of his Texas indigos. He looks like he has very good success with drymarchon.

-Wade
I remember the poop well. None of my monkeys have been anywhere near as messy as a typical indigo snake. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love the indigos but out of my price range lol. Can't wait to see yours. How big does the species you're looking at get? The one's in Florida I fawn over are out of my size range as well.
Normal size is 7-8 feet for a male and 6-7 feet for a female, much like an Eastern indigo. This subspecies is roughly half the price of the Easterns and requires no government permission slip to own, ship or sell.

daniellenc

Maryland
Normal size is 7-8 feet for a male and 6-7 feet for a female, much like an Eastern indigo. This subspecies is roughly half the price of the Easterns and requires no government permission slip to own, ship or sell.
I am a lover of the easterns but as I mentioned a bit too big and pricey for me. I need to hit the lottery, lol

wccmog10

Georgia
I remember the poop well. None of my monkeys have been anywhere near as messy as a typical indigo snake. :)

I never worked with monkeys first hand, but everyone I know that works with monkeys talks about them throwing "stuff." Mind you these are usually angry monkeys that do not like people, and are not on exhibit anywhere. I also remember seeing some chimpanzees at one zoo with a large glass viewing window that was dirty- after a few minutes I realized that the window was covered in feces... not dirt...

-Wade

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here is the father of the baby I'm getting. We took the lid off of his large humid hid box for this pic:
View attachment 245284
I like snakes. I think they get a bad rap.
But are any of these critters housed in your house? How does your wife feel about them, and avoid them?
I mean, anyone who keeps roaches, tarantulas, snakes, and who knows what else...there has got to be something she REALLY can't abide! [emoji2]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like snakes. I think they get a bad rap.
But are any of these critters housed in your house? How does your wife feel about them, and avoid them?
I mean, anyone who keeps roaches, tarantulas, snakes, and who knows what else...there has got to be something she REALLY can't abide! [emoji2]
She likes the animals as much as I do. I married the right woman.

wccmog10

Georgia
Very cool that you are getting one of the cribos. I'm looking forward to photos.

-Wade