Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad to see they are doing well! Will you allow them to mate when the time comes? How old should they be?
Yes. Probably. I'll do it under the guidance and supervision of my buddy John. Not sure how old they need to be. I think I remember him saying 3 or 4. I'm in no hurry. I'm just enjoying them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Same species but different subspecies. Some argue that they are the same animal with different color variations that are location specific. This is an adult male blacktail cribo:
IMG_7733 copy.JPG

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Same species but different subspecies. Some argue that they are the same animal with different color variations that are location specific. This is an adult male blacktail cribo:
View attachment 265269
That's a beautiful animal! I've never really been into snakes, but I do like them. He looks like a river of gold.

Don't yours have a common name that's easier to say? I tried to tell my husband what kind you have, and failed miserably. [emoji23]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a beautiful animal! I've never really been into snakes, but I do like them. He looks like a river of gold.

Don't yours have a common name that's easier to say? I tried to tell my husband what kind you have, and failed miserably. [emoji23]
You can call it a "cribo". Or if you are talking to someone that knows what a cribo is, you can be more specific by calling it a "unicolor cribo". If I'm still getting a quizzical look, I will add: "They are related to and similar to the Eastern Indigos. Same genus, different species."

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are four subspecies within this species:
Drymarchon melanurus unicolor is the "unicolor cribo".
Drymarchon melanurus melanurus is the "blacktail cribo".
Drymarchon melanurus erebennus is the "Texas indigo snake".
Drymarchon melanurus rubidus is the "Mexican Indigo snake".

Then there is the "real" indigo, Drymarchon couperi.
And the "Yellowtail cribo", Drymarchon corais.

There are a few others that I've never seen or heard of, but these are the ones available here in the USA.