Dry food for Hermanns? (Emergency kit supplies)

LianaZ

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, USA
I am curious if anyone has had success with using any dry/pellet food for their Hermanns torts?

I feed my little guy (2 years old, had him since 2 months old) almost exclusively organic dandelion greens, and other greens when that's not available. Since he has never had dry food, the pellets I have tried to add in get completely ignored like they don't even exist! I have tried the Zoo Med grassland formula as well as the Fluker's tortoise diet.

It's not important to me that he likes it for a normal diet, but I want him to know that it's edible food and be willing to try it for emergencies. I'm in Southern California and all my other pets have supplies in our earthquake kit. I worry that he won't take the food in an emergency! Has anyone had experience with this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most use Mazuri tortoise diet. But, trying what you have, soak it first in a little water. When soft smear it on his favorite foods, where he has to eat the soaked pellets if he wants his favorite. Don't give in by giving him good without the pellet food smeared on it. Eventually he will eat it.