Driving along, saw these two Angulates battling it out on the side of the road

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is great. The whole time neither of them seem the least bit aware of the lady with the camera following them around, and then right about 2:35 the one seems to look up and notice. "Uh oh… Gotta go!"

Thanks so much for posting this Jeannine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That was the worse fight I have seen so far. How lucky you are to see that in person. They sure can be vicious for tortoises that is.
Thanks for sharing.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Garden Route, South Africa
So right, Tom! Usually they stop fighting and scurry off as soon as you start filming them. Not these two, they were so engrossed in their epic battle. Notice how the one tries to bite the other, that is something I have noticed recently. When fighting they open their little jaws and really go for each other. We had a large, old guy in the garden and he took a dislike to my husband. Walked straight up to him and bit him on the toe.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
That was the worse fight I have seen so far. How lucky you are to see that in person. They sure can be vicious for tortoises that is.
Thanks for sharing.
Yes, they are amazingly aggressive! Especially, as you say, for tortoises. They will fight to the bitter end, until one is helpless on his back. Then they will wait to make sure the loser does not right himself. They bite each other too, as you can see in the video.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Thank you for sharing that! Boy those guys are quick and aggressive. Fun to see.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow...quite the battle! Is this battle happening in a closed in area along the roadside? Lots of fence, curb...etc. very interesting to see REAL BULLYING AND FIGHTING... Thanks!

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Wow...quite the battle! Is this battle happening in a closed in area along the roadside? Lots of fence, curb...etc. very interesting to see REAL BULLYING AND FIGHTING... Thanks!
Hi Mark, yip this is on a suburban street on the grass verge. The wall you see is the wall to someones house. They must have just bumped into each other walking along, so not as if it was one's particular territory. The Angulates are funny that way, we have a large amount in and out of our garden. One day a couple will peacefully graze together in very close proximity, the next day the same two will want to fight to the death.