Dried yolk sac won't fall off.

TortoiseSpeed93

Location (City and/or State)
Suriname
Hi everyone,

I have a yellow foot tortoise, about 3 weeks old. Baby is up and running. Eating, drinking. But the yolk sac hasn't fallen off yet. It's all dried up and dark brown. And it has come up to a point that it starts to leave a dent in it's plastron, because of it's weight when walking and such. I don't wanna yank it off or anything. Ouch!!!
Any ideas on what to do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This tortoise should have spent a week in a damp brooder box absorbing the yolk sac. Don't know what will happen now. Have to wait and see.

Check this out for future hatches:

TortoiseSpeed93

Suriname
Hmmm, I see. I do soak the yellow foot daily. Maybe I should soak it a bit longer?

But thank you for the added info on how to incubate eggs and take care of the hatchlings.

TortoiseSpeed93

Suriname
Update: the yolk sac has fallen of. Yay.
I did do the coconut oil everyday after every soak.

Previously my Tortoise was just in a box,
I was in search of a good table enclosure
Now I got a wooden one. At the bottom I put plastic, to prevent the wood from soaking all the excrement fluids and urine and occasional water spill. On top I put grass, sand and pebbles. But I noticed I probably have to put another layer of sand, because the plastic became visible in a corner. I think my tort was sitting in it's own pee and that soften it's harden yolk sac. That's what probably helped too.
Not the most hygienic way for it to fall off. But now I can stop worrying about it and my tort can walk freely too.