Dream Come True...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, I thought you were excited about some seeds you had gotten and planted that were sprouting. I thought you had finally lost it. Then I seen the tort pics, boy, glad your still with us:p:D They are so tiny, I never did figure out where they were in the enclosure shots.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They have been doing REALLY well the last couple days. I was a little nervous at first. Like I've said, this is probably my one chance to work with them, so I feel a natural pressure to not mess this up. However, there are no legitimate reasons to be concerned.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Very nice! They look like they are doing great for you.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where on earth did you find them Amazing tortoises?

Turtlepete

South Florida
I bothered a TON of people. Have to become a detective, following any lead and pinching every penny...

Becoming a detective is necessary for tracking down any animals that lean towards being unattainable to the hobby! Haha.

Totally stunning. What a beautiful species…..These guys are more tropical than the P. arachnoides, am I right? I think its the BCC that has them setup something like a rainforest, with a misting system and what-not. Supposedly it was needed to improve productivity. Awesome.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Becoming a detective is necessary for tracking down any animals that lean towards being unattainable to the hobby! Haha.

Totally stunning. What a beautiful species…..These guys are more tropical than the P. arachnoides, am I right? I think its the BCC that has them setup something like a rainforest, with a misting system and what-not. Supposedly it was needed to improve productivity. Awesome.
Yes, they are VERY different from arachnoides. Especially as far as husbandry is concerned.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Yes, they are VERY different from arachnoides. Especially as far as husbandry is concerned.

Do they vary in the dietary aspect of they're care? Do they favor succulents the same way as P. arachnoides? Any major behavioral differences you've noted?
Sorry if I'm naggy with so many questions :p. You are probably the only keeper of these guys I'll ever get to talk to, haha.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Do they vary in the dietary aspect of they're care? Do they favor succulents the same way as P. arachnoides? Any major behavioral differences you've noted?
Sorry if I'm naggy with so many questions :p. You are probably the only keeper of these guys I'll ever get to talk to, haha.
Nah, I'm sure you'll be buddy-buddy with plenty of Pyxis keepers before your through with this turtle stuff. There are a lot of people with Pyxis, but they don't have to part with offspring, with such low output. Ya know? That's why they will never be common.

They are a different shape, they live in different habitats, and do have so dietary differences. I've never been to Madagascar, which sucks, but form everything I can gather, planicauda live in a more humid environment with more fallen leaves to live under. They eat more mushrooms/fungi. Arachnoides live in areas with sandy substrate that can get more arid, and they have been known to poke around in animal feces perhaps to find bugs to munch on.

To me, planicauda, morphologically, look like Kinixys more than anything. Their face and shell. They can be kept in similar ways too. High humidity.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Nah, I'm sure you'll be buddy-buddy with plenty of Pyxis keepers before your through with this turtle stuff. There are a lot of people with Pyxis, but they don't have to part with offspring, with such low output. Ya know? That's why they will never be common.

They are a different shape, they live in different habitats, and do have so dietary differences. I've never been to Madagascar, which sucks, but form everything I can gather, planicauda live in a more humid environment with more fallen leaves to live under. They eat more mushrooms/fungi. Arachnoides live in areas with sandy substrate that can get more arid, and they have been known to poke around in animal feces perhaps to find bugs to munch on.

To me, planicauda, morphologically, look like Kinixys more than anything. Their face and shell. They can be kept in similar ways too. High humidity.

I could imagine why the keepers of these guys would seldom part with the offspring. When you only produce, maybe two a year (my rough, uneducated guess) from a single pair, and they are small and don't require huge setups, you aren't going to be filling up on space. Thinking of space however, you say they differ behaviorally; about how active are they? P. arachnoides are usually described as "pretty rock's", so I'm curious if planicauda are similarly inactive. Do they experience the same dormant period towards the end of the year as arachnoides?
All very interesting information. I see the Kinixys comparison you mention. The shell looks much more depressed/flattened then arachnoides, for sure. The flare/flattening of the front marginals is definitely much different morphologically from arachnoides as well. Looks a lot like k. homeana!
I wish you the best of luck with these guys, and hopefully you get a good sex ratio. The wild obviously does not offer a promising future for these guys (or any Madagascan taxa).