Drawing/Painting tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

feline8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MD
Okay I want to combine my two favorite things in the world: drawing/painting and tortoises. Just wondering...do tortoises sit still enough for you to draw them? I would really love to start painting a new tortoise I'm getting soon. (No, I'm not going to paint the tortoise, I'm going to paint an image of the tortoise. I've been getting that a lot when I say I want to paint something)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you could get one to sit long enough if you aren't too slow of a painter. Just give him his favorite thing to eat and make sure it is big enough to keep him busy until your done. If not, they don't move that fast, that you couldn't do it while he is on the run

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Or you can take several snapshots, then use the pose to get the overall placement, postioning, etc. and the photos to add details as the tortoise moves away.

In my experience, they will always move the most when you want them to sit the most still... kind of like kids!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I regularly use pictures for the basis of my paintings. Pics stay very very still!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kanalomele said:
I regularly use pictures for the basis of my paintings. Pics stay very very still!

:D I wish I could even draw stick figure tortoises. :D

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Yes, a photo of the tortoise is the best way to go. When I paint live animals, I take a photo in natural lighting; near a window, or out of doors. You have to have the light bathing the tortoise so that you can see shadow and light, to give the tortoise a 3 dimensional look in the photo. NEVER use the flash. You may need to take a few photos; however, this is the way to do it. A photo with a flash maybe a beautiful photo, but it will not translate into a beautiful painting. Do the work and you will be happy with your painting. If you want to send me a photo of the picture, I may be able to help you pick the best shot that will work as a painting.

I will post one of the painting so that you can see what I am talking about.

painting goffen too.jpgpainting grey2.jpgpainting M too.jpgcat.jpg

Light and shadow on some of my paintings. Remember that body shadow is warm. Cast shadow is warm. Background is cool. Good luck. ~C

Last edited by a moderator:

netc

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
Yes, a photo of the tortoise is the best way to go. When I paint live animals, I take a photo in natural lighting; near a window, or out of doors. You have to have the light bathing the tortoise so that you can see shadow and light, to give the tortoise a 3 dimensional look in the photo. NEVER use the flash. You may need to take a few photos; however, this is the way to do it. A photo with a flash maybe a beautiful photo, but it will not translate into a beautiful painting. Do the work and you will be happy with your painting. If you want to send me a photo of the picture, I may be able to help you pick the best shot that will work as a painting.

Light and shadow on some of my paintings. Remember that body shadow is warm. Cast shadow is warm. Background is cool. Good luck. ~C

those paintings are brilliant , wish i had a talent like that ,well done

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Funny you should ask! I took a Life Drawing class several years ago, in which we sketched not only nude human models, but also other animals and plants. I asked the instructor if I could bring my redfoot tortoise in, and she enthusiastically said, "Yes!"

So, I brought little Chama in, who was about 6" long at that time. For creatures that are supposed to be slow, you would be amazed how much she darted around that classroom. It was actually quite challenging to draw her for that reason. I had to use a technique in in which I would just glance at her, remember what I saw, and draw it. It worked, but it's harder to get lots of detail that way.

At home, however, it was much easier, because she was comfortable in her own pen and did not walk around very much at all. That made it much easier. Of course, then it's harder to draw the limbs and neck, since they are not extended. Pros and cons. :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
netc said:
CLMoss said:

Thank you so much! I have worked so hard that this, it was a mission and my passion. I am self taught, but sometimes l feel like a trained monkey...~C

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
CLMoss said:
netc said:
CLMoss said:

Thank you so much! I have worked so hard that this, it was a mission and my passion. I am self taught, but sometimes l feel like a trained monkey...~C

I love your paintings! I am self taught too haha. :D Maybe I'll upload some of my paintings sometime & when I'm done with the tortoise painting, I'll upload that too. Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Anna, Another tip is to take a photo out side. I don't know what type of paint you are using... Oils? I take photo on the north side of my house where the light is bright, however, there is no direct sun light. Please send some photo of your other painting. I would love to see them. ~C

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
CLMoss said:

Wow...Impressive talent!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! CLMoss, your paintings are WONDERFUL!!! You truly have a Gift!:)

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
I'm a teenager so I cant draw really good but this is what I drew

image-2662267198.png

leonardo the tmnt said:
I'm a teenager so I cant draw really good but this is what I drew

Nothing compared to clmoss

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
CLMoss said:
Anna, Another tip is to take a photo out side. I don't know what type of paint you are using... Oils? I take photo on the north side of my house where the light is bright, however, there is no direct sun light. Please send some photo of your other painting. I would love to see them. ~C

Here are some of the AP pieces I did this year (I'm still in HS). It's not that good, but I'm still learning and practicing. The paintings I've done are rather colorful and impressionistic. I'm going to start painting in a more realistic style with oils soon!

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • summer.jpg
    summer.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 12
  • parkbench.jpg
    parkbench.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 10
  • FallColors.jpg
    FallColors.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
WOW!!! Anna, they are BEAUIFUL!!! I love the colors! Keep up the good work! Also, let me know when you are ready to buy you first set of oils. I can help you with this. ~C

Status
Not open for further replies.