Dragging her back legs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
So I was at work today when my boyfriend noticed bumper walking around but not using her back legs. He sent me a video and I started getting really worried. She had her back legs kinda tucked in and was dragging herself around with her front legs. But then I started thinking, she lived on hard wood floors for the past 8 years and kinda swam around on that floor and now that I have her she walks on the carpet and the past two days I had her outside all day long and she walked the entire time. Can they get sore? I mean she has a problem with her back legs anyway (for backround on her see "im getting a leopard!" and in photos " new leo") so I know I should keep a close eye on her but anything else. Like a certain extra vitamin, or like "physical therepy", like they would do with people who are bed ridden, bending and stretching their legs. I know this must sound so stupid but I'm just wondering. And can tortoises have arthritis? I know there must not be much research on it but you know how they give old dogs an asprin everyday to help with their joint pain, I wonder if this would be possible for a tort. Dont worry i'm not gonna try but this incident got me thinking. So my boyfriend got worried and picked her up to see if she would move her legs. He said it took her about ten minutes to use them. She hasn't seemed stressed out and she is eating fine now. So.... what do you guys think?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's time to go to the vets Jessica and get an x-ray. She either is egg bound or has a bladder stone. :(

Danny

Gem

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Somerset, UK
My tortoise Tommy has been in the vets all this week with the same problem, i'm going to pick him up tomorrow! He has an infection in his back joints. You need to get her to the vets asap! Good luck with her!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I talked to the lady I got her from and asked her about medical history and her last vet check and she said she never had medical problems except when she first got her she had an RI. Then a little bit ago she was doing the same thing with her back legs and she was taken to her work, she works at a vet, and they did x rays and found nothing. She said every time the tort showed signs of having problems with her back legs she got an xray and each time nothing. She offered to take it to her work again but said it would probably be the same results. She referred to it as a phase. I am worried and I'm looking for a second vet opinion but I need a good vet first. So to my original question... can torts get arthritis?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Jessica,

I think getting another vet's opinion would be your best bet. With her symptoms, it just doesn't make sense to me that previous x-rays showed absolutely "nothing." Other than metabolic bone disease, I don't know of a condition like that or a type of "arthritis" that tortoises would get - but I'm certainly nowhere near an expert. Danny, however, did post previously that she may be egg bound or have bladder stones - and he has a lot of experience/knowledge. So, I really think you'll get a lot of the answers you're looking for if you can find a vet experienced with tortoises and get an independent, second opinion. Keep in touch and let us know.

M

Maggie Cummings

Jessica where do you live, I'll look at my lists and see if there's a different Vet close to you. Your old Vets name?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I live in Seatac, Wa. A block away from the airport. Area code 98188. I went to Dr. Conger at Des Moines Vet. I liked her but I dont think she gets to see alot of exotics. She is a reptile vet but when I had a baby sulcata 5 years ago and my brothers dog tried to eat it right out of its cage, I asked her alot of advice and now when I look back she gave me alot of wrong info. But I guess alot has been discovered since then. I dont know, I'd like to see what else is out there.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Well Jessica, I'm sure one of us can find you a great vet experienced with torts as that previous one doesnt sound too much experienced with torts. It's definitely definitely a must that you get a 2nd opinion though. Will pray for your little one!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
hiya, that happens most commonly when the tort isnt getting the right supplement as it is not strong enough to walk. Torts are better walking on hard surfaces as it strenthans their musels. Do you use a powder supplement? A vet will tell you this if this is the case so go see 1.

haope this helps xxx

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Well I've only had her for almost two weeks. So before that she was walking on hard wood floors. So she more swam then walked. I have been getting her out in the grass and carpet to strengthen her legs cuz thats what I was most worried about. And per Yvonne who saw a pic of her and said she looked like she has MBD I have been lightly sprinkling her food every day with calcium and a reptivite multi vitamin. I havent got a calcium with D3 yet because I put her outside everyday. But as winter is coming up and it gets cold here I'm going to pick one up this weekend.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
With that kind of history, than it is possible she is just deficient in calcium and it's not letting her muscles function correctly. I agree with what Yvonne said about her having MBD. With the smooth floor and the lack of calcium before you got her, I'm afraid she may never walk right again. You might be able to get it better, but it will never be like it should be.
You may even have to add some plastic furniture moving pads to the back of her plastron. That way she'll be a little off the ground and won't be dragging her legs against the ground and causing sores.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.