Downtime for Upgrades!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I pick my battles . If it keeps them quiet and they are learning something then I let them be .

Maverick

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Downtime for Upgrades!

mike taylor said:
I kind of worried about the app . My kids took over the laptop .

Me too, I almost exclusively use the app (android) to access the forum. I also think the app may drive a lot of the newer younger traffic to the site. Which may need the most help.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have faith in Mr Josh . But still worried . Will be missing the forum if its off to long . Will have to go to tortoise forum rehab .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!

mike taylor said:
I pick my battles . If it keeps them quiet and they are learning something then I let them be .

Well stated.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
mike taylor said:
I have faith in Mr Josh . But still worried . Will be missing the forum if its off to long . Will have to go to tortoise forum rehab .

As long as this rehab is somewhere warm and sunny. :)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The app won't go away unless there's a 100% viable (and hopefully improved) alternative. I would never leave all you app users high and dry! Fear not! :)

The migration will probably be happening in the late nighttime hours of April 11 (tomorrow) and early morning hours of April 12, Saturday. I will do my best to make sure everything is back up and running ASAP so no one suffers from withdrawals for too long! :) Thank you all for your support!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thank you very much Josh! You are a forum god! :D :D

In case there are withdraws, what method do you advise for recovery?

Maverick

5 Year Member

Josh said:
The app won't go away unless there's a 100% viable (and hopefully improved) alternative. I would never leave all you app users high and dry! Fear not! :)

Thanks!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I wouldn't access the forum much if I couldn't do so easily through the app or if the site was mobile ready. I rarely use my laptop because it's basically set up for my toddler to stream stuff that we let her watch, so it's in an inconvenient place and I can only use it if she is asleep...because she complains LOL. Kind of like Mike, I pick my battles...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am glad that there will be updates. However I also hope that the app never goes away. I have extremely poor vision and I find that the app is much easier to navigate then the website. I actually have a very hard time finding information on the website compared to the app.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I don't own a computer anymore as mine was stolen by an ex years ago. So my phone has become my computer. If the app goes then I will be gone as well. Simply because I have no other way to access the forum. Without the forum I would slip back into complete hermitdom. I just made that word up but I like it.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
tffnytorts said:
Thank you very much Josh! You are a forum god! :D :D

In case there are withdraws, what method do you advise for recovery?

I suggest chocolate syrup :D

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I promise I will not forsake those members who use the app exclusively. I could never! In fact, I'm very excited for you all to see our new responsive design that just may be impressive enough to convince you to visit us from your mobile browsers! :) ;) :tort:

The downtime will be occurring TONIGHT. From approximately 10pm PDT until the early morning hours of Saturday. Basically the site will be back online ASAP after I've finished all the essential functions! Look for updates on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
But I don't do The Facebook. And I'm fairly certain I've never Twerted. Will this be an auto update that is so nice with iPhone, or will I need to uninstall then reinstall the app?

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The app will remain the same. You may need to reinstall the app. I will check on that. I will see if I can also post updates to http://www.tortoiseforum.org, without disrrupting the migration process, for those who aren't on social networks.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I'm going to go ahead and disable uploading of new attachments to the forum for now. That way I can get a head start on moving our 45gb+ of TORTOISE PHOTOS! :) <3 :tort: