Double Stock Tank Build! Pic Heavy!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
Started this thing last week, 2 stock tanks, a Rubbermaid 100 gallon and a tuff stuff 110, sitting atop 5'x8' stand, multiple large canisters, drift wood basking areas etc, turtle moving in tomorrow!

og drift wood etc so not sure on that yet either.

Here we are just about done, getting the water warmed up and tomorrow turtles moving in! I have few things on order, to arrive this coming week, couple new 300w heaters, 18" inch bubblers/pump, aquatop cf500 uv canister, the parts to fix my rena, etc.. Can't wait but here we are so far!

I have to finish fixing my rena and then will have the aquatop 500 and rena xp3 on the tuff stuff 110 and when the other aquatop 500 arrives will have that with my cfs 500 on the Rubbermaid tank.. The aquatop 400 is going to my youngest hatchlings in a 50 gallon rubbermaid.

Need another powersun 160 to hang over the Rubbermaid but cheaper setup on it now doesn't look to bad as is and still giving plenty light/heat/uvb

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice setup !! I like may copy cat . Ha ha

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I like too ! If I may ask were did you get the tubs . As you can see I to would conseter doing the same thing for my turtles it's really a nice way to go

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I got the tubs at tractor supply for $70 a piece then I simply went and got 12 cinder blocks and six 2"x1'x8' boards, the boards cost more than the tanks but all in all it was a very cheap easy setup, just placed the cinder blocks with boards on top and done, I am very happy with the way it's turned out, still have few supplies to add but should finish it next week, can't wait!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where are the turtles smiling faces?? Pictures of turtle please ? :p

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Moved turtles in this morning, most are in hiding but the map turtles and diamond back are exploring

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Figure y'all would like this, my tortoise got stuck in the middle of this build and had to be moved in the process, just got him set back up this morning, here's a pic the whole left side of the room, on the right side of the room I have a hatchling setup with few more turtles in a Rubbermaid bin on a 55 gallon iron tank stand, I'm gonna upgrade that a bit and will post pics when I do.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That is a super cool set up! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
I like the tortoise set up, also!
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very cool set ups . Like the dbt and res . I have two res and two snapping turtles. I will be copying your idea . What kind of filters do you have ?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I don't have an res, that's a dbt, a Texas map, an ouachita map, pink belly sideneck and southern painted turtle.

We are not allowed to have res in florida.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A little word of caution for you: Provide a drip loop on all cords and tubes so IF water ever runs back, down the cord or tube, it goes down to the bottom of the loop, and not back up into the filter or wall outlet.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yvonne G said:
A little word of caution for you: Provide a drip loop on all cords and tubes so IF water ever runs back, down the cord or tube, it goes down to the bottom of the loop, and not back up into the filter or wall outlet.

Good call!

Looks good! Looks like a lot more room. At first when I read the title though you were taking two making like a bridge basking are so they can go into each stock tank. I saw this done good way to go

Kyle

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I was gonna go with just one large 300 or so stock tank, but I want to seperate my species and dif sized turtles as much as possible, I got my painted turtles in with a ybs and then my maps in with my concentric dbt, I have a pink belly sideneck in with my maps and terrapin but if and when I can he/she will be housed alone.

I will post more updates as my supplies come in, I have another aquatop cf500uv coming as well as the remainder of parts needed to fix my rena xp3, also have couple 300w heaters, 18" bubblers, pumps, etc coming.. Once all my supplies get here I will have 5 large canister filters to divide between the 2 tanks, I believe I will put the aquatop 500 with the cfs 500 on the rubbermaid totaling 1025 gph and then put the other aquatop 500 with the rena xp3 on the tuff stuff tank totaling 875 gph, then put my aquatop 400uv 370gph on my 50 gal hatchling setup since they really need better filter.. I believe that should be plenty filtration lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking awesome! I always like to know about what each setup folks do has cost them so far to do. What has this run you money wise and then time wise, too.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Wasn't much at all really, not compared to what a 210 gallon aquarium would cost.. I paid $70 for each stock tank, 80$ for the boards, 25$ for the blocks, most the driftwood, lights, canister filters etc I already had from previous setups.. Lastly I spent 200$ on ebay for another aquatop 500, parts for my rena xp3, heaters and few other things.. All under 500$, and the stand could have been a lot cheaper had I been able to fit 20$ worth of ply wood in my SUV, I wouldn't have bought the 80$ boards but I am very happy with those boards, turned out great and the whole turtle room smells like lumber :) and I really probably could have done with out the 200$ extra spent on ebay, none of those supplies are here yet and the setups are fine as they are, so u could spend just 300$ on this setup if u already have filters and heaters etc.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Nice set ups, continue with the economics, what is your electric bill now and what is it gonna be?.....won't all that humidity start to mold your house ? You live in Florida ,right ? can't you make that work outside .? ....my first thought was that that was going to end up in your basement, seriously ,how much electric can outlets like that handle ? Your room smells like lumber now , just wait ...you have many great ideas and I love the tubs .

I just noticed that your collection is all "one ofs" . Please tell me your thoughts on so many individual torts .thank you

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Well I have been running 3 setups, 3 lighting setups and 3 canister filters, all I am adding is an extra canister or 2 and actually have less lighting up, but maybe with the heaters may see and increase in bill, hope not. The humidity is a problem, a dehumidifier ought really help and I will be setting one up ASAP.. That outlet outta be able to handle 1,000 watts and I do not believe I am pushing that right now but I will be when my new heaters n canisters get here so I do plan to upgrade my electrical setup, at the moment I have 2 surge protectors sitting on the stand, I need another cord or 2 and I am gonna hang it on the wall and well away from the tanks also split the pull between another outlet.. I could make this work outside and be cheaper too but I do not want my babies outside yet, when they are full grown adults then yes, I actually have already dug a 3200 gallon pond this summer and plan to finish well before they are grown, lol.. I have so many dif species because years ago when I first started keeping turtles I only was able to get what I had close by and all that were in pet shops near by we're very common native species and though I raised good bit of ybs and cooters who were awesome, I always obsessed with other species, lot more expensive than a ybs, and I finally got to a point in life where I can splurge $ on turtles, lol, I went a little over board on my turtles this year probably.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Thank you for answering,from where I sit you are in prime tort real estate ,so many breeders and sources (turtle source )is near you.i would love to go and pick my torts.i order them online ,ship them thousands of miles at ridiculous amounts of money and they come from fla.....good luck have fun ,I'd love some ybs.

Oh ,and don't burn your house down with all that electric.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Turtlesource is like 7 hours away lol, but I did order from them twice this summer, both times had issues but still they are pretty good.. There are no breeders here in the panhandle, not that I know of, lots down south n central fl... All I have near me is the pet store in Alabama, u can get ybs, res and soft shells then at the flea market they usually have ybs/res, selling em in a beta cups for 7$ from a foreign woman who can't even tell u what they are, ridiculous. Then there is petsmart as well, lol no real breeders, I ordered from turtlesource and the from Jonathan Helms and will probably cont ordering from the 2, my issues with turtlesource were my first order I had a sickly Ouachita Map who died within days, took many many emails/calls to get my replacement, when I did get the replacement I ordered few other turtles to ship along with it including what was supposed to be an extra scuted Texas map, my Texas map arrived with perfect scutes but only one eye, the little guy has always been healthy and I wouldn't trade him for nothing but I did email theturtlesource dozens of times telling them about the eye n never got a reply, nothing, that was after spending over 350$ between 2 orders.