Double layered tortoise enclosure

Brian Nicoleau

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Have any ideas?
I’m looking for a double layered enclosure because in Massachusetts I live at the top part tippity top near Boston but anyways I could make an outside enclosure but here sometimes the temperatures reach like -10 and like I don’t want my tortoise to freeze to death so like got any ideas? Please include dimensions in there thanks ❤️

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
I just want to make another one so when she gets bigger she doesn’t stress out and start pyramiding or something like that and like sofar i just want a good 2 story so there’s enough space to last me at least 1-2 years

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Have any ideas?
I’m looking for a double layered enclosure because in Massachusetts I live at the top part tippity top near Boston but anyways I could make an outside enclosure but here sometimes the temperatures reach like -10 and like I don’t want my tortoise to freeze to death so like got any ideas? Please include dimensions in there thanks ❤

Build a 2 story 8ft long x 4 ft wide closed chamber indoor enclosure. Place LED lights on both levels. Use 1-3x reptile heat panels to keep the enclosure heated. Make the bridge width at least a ft wide with high sides to prevent rubbing. Place plants throughout the enclosure.

That sounds like a great permanent home for a redfoot hatchling.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Build a 2 story 8ft long x 4 ft wide closed chamber indoor enclosure. Place LED lights on both levels. Use 1-3x reptile heat panels to keep the enclosure heated. Make the bridge width at least a ft wide with high sides to prevent rubbing. Place plants throughout the enclosure.

That sounds like a great permanent home for a redfoot hatchling.
Well the thing is my house is a bit packed so I don’t have enough space for a 8x4

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hmm don’t u think I might need it closed since my tortoise is like 2 months old not saying your setup but I’m just asking if there is a way to keep the same humidity
Yes, you would. I didn't remember the age.

I've never seen a 2 story closed chamber that I can recall.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You have a redfoot hatchling. You want to have a closed chamber enclosure because Redfoots require a precise temperature and humidity range. A 4ft x 2ft enclosure for now and maybe a few months down the road may be okay but it is not going to be large enough for this medium sized species of tortoise in the near future. I would suggest building at least a 6ft x 3ft enclosure and adding another level to that.

I've personally never seen a successful 2 story enclosure, as in where the tortoise consistently uses every part of the space built in. Of course that doesn't mean it can't be done.

There's a guy in this forum building a 2 level 8ft x 4ft enclosure for his Aldabra tortoises from inside his shop. I don't remember his @name but his pictures look like he's doing a pretty good job so far.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
My mother said that we could take the bed out for her Nice! Well I’m going to make a different thread on ideas about a 8x4 enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My mother said that we could take the bed out for her Nice! Well I’m going to make a different thread on ideas about a 8x4 enclosure

This is a member on this forum that renovated her guest bed frame into a tortoise enclosure. I don't remember her name either.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
I didn’t think she would do that but yeah I’m very lucky to have a mom like this I thought I would have to work again but my stept dad doesn’t want me to work for him for some reason :/

AgataP

Seattle, WA
There are many ideas online on enclosure builds. I also feel like you take all the advice you build one, than you discover what works what doesn’t. Than you adjust it. Rebuild it. This is what I think self- made enclosures are so fun. Allows you to do any adjustments.
I almost wanted to build one from LEGO ?