Double Door Night Box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Seems I finished just in time as temperature this morning was 51 degree F. He is snug as a bug in his mulch in his new house with the oil filled radiator keeping it warm. His heat mat is in the mail. I used the reptile forest floor mulch but am looking for some more cheaper...mulch that can be added to this. I'm also going to order a thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the house. First I had it too warm then adjusted it felt too cold and last night got it to where it seemed ok. I still have to add his light as its pretty dark in there and for days he doesn't want to come outside. I have a shower curtain, never used lying about and plan on using that on the door so it can hold some heat in while giving him access to the outdoors. (I'll cut strips in it as I can't find any of the flooring type. I did see on line they sell strips the are used on commercial refrigerators but man they come in big rolls and are very expensive. But I think they would be ideal. Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket and see? lol Yes Tom it is a journey . This box is about 4 ft high enough I can get in and clean and make heat adjustments and not enough not to break my old back climbing in it. My back and sciatic nerve is out of whack today so its a rest day. My recommendation is to go with your 2 ft box with hinged roof, too late for me but good for others.
You can't use bedding with a heat mat on the floor. Its not safe.

Don't go by how it "feels" in there. Mount a thermometer or two to the walls. I like to have a thermometer with a remote probe. I leave the probe in the box, and can monitor temps at any time from inside the comfort of my own "night box". :)

You can buy the freezer door flaps by the foot, or in smaller sections. It is MUCH more effective than other materials. Overlap it at least an inch per flap. I can't find a link for anything less than a 100 foot roll anymore. I bought a 50 foot roll recently and I can sell you some of mine if you want.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You can't use bedding with a heat mat on the floor. Its not safe.

Don't go by how it "feels" in there. Mount a thermometer or two to the walls. I like to have a thermometer with a remote probe. I leave the probe in the box, and can monitor temps at any time from inside the comfort of my own "night box". :)

You can buy the freezer door flaps by the foot, or in smaller sections. It is MUCH more effective than other materials. Overlap it at least an inch per flap. I can't find a link for anything less than a 100 foot roll anymore. I bought a 50 foot roll recently and I can sell you some of mine if you want.
I was able to find it on eBay in 8’ rolls.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom did you seal all the edges? If you did what kind did you use
I use GE silicone 1. I seal all the seams and corners as I build. I use 5 or 6 tubes on a 4x8 foot box.

Paint won't stick to the silicone. @Markw84 introduced me to this sealant recently, and I like it too:
clear-dap-sealants-18304-64_1000.jpg

Donutsgranny

Louisiana
Tom, Yes I understand, I planned on a thermometer, but I had just finished and hadn't ordered yet. I have this on order Moat S2 Wireless Temperature & Humidity Bluetooth Smart Sensor (iPhone/Android) -
His heat mat is on one side of the house and the mulch is on the opposite side, some mornings I find him on the mat and other times in the mulch. I check it each day to be sure mulch doesn't get moved on the mat side. I hope that is good. Yes I am also intending to hang the freezer door flaps. I'm looking around and thanks for the offer I may have to take you up on it if I can't find on my own.

Hai

Tucson az
@Tom you don't have a problem with you wood warping in the summer? All mine seem to start warping in the summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom you don't have a problem with you wood warping in the summer? All mine seem to start warping in the summer.
No. With the double layers of ply that are sealed and painted outside, along with the 2x4 frame, I get no warping at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What did you use to seal and paint it?
See post number 63 above.

For paint on the exterior, I use Killz 2 primer and Behr exterior from Home Depot. I don't do anything to the inside. I leave the inside bare untreated plywood.

Hai

Tucson az
Oh I thought you meant like a waterproofing seal lol not the other stuff. It's crazy how expensive wood is right now. About doubled in price

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I thought you meant like a waterproofing seal lol not the other stuff. It's crazy how expensive wood is right now. About doubled in price
Yes. I've noticed that too. I used to pay .78 cents for a 2x4. Now they are suddenly 3.98 each. Its crazy.

Hai

Tucson az
Yes. I've noticed that too. I used to pay .78 cents for a 2x4. Now they are suddenly 3.98 each. Its crazy.
For all the wood and insulation cost came close to 200$.

Do you still happen to have anymore of that freezer door liner stuff that you can sell

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Paradise
I’m building a 4x4 for my 20lb sulcata. I’m in NorCal, in the foothills, so I went with 4” insulation. One of the last posts mentioned not using OSB as a flooring material. As it stands, I have OSB on one side and 1/2” ply on the other (the walls aren’t attached to the floor yet). But I was planning on painting the bottom with Killz. Is there any reason not to? I don’t want to take it apart in two years to replace the floor.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m building a 4x4 for my 20lb sulcata. I’m in NorCal, in the foothills, so I went with 4” insulation. One of the last posts mentioned not using OSB as a flooring material. As it stands, I have OSB on one side and 1/2” ply on the other (the walls aren’t attached to the floor yet). But I was planning on painting the bottom with Killz. Is there any reason not to? I don’t want to take it apart in two years to replace the floor.

On my two night boxes, I added in a second layer of plywood On the floor. If this one rots...I can easily lift it out. So, think about a false bottom that is just a bit shy of your enclosure. Can even be two separate left over pieces. Just a thought - it works in my night boxes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't paint the inside with anything. I've had sulcata boxes with 11/32 ply going for a decade and not had to replace a floor yet.

My big SA leopard girls poo and pee in the box every night and constantly make a poopy, muddy mess in there. After about 8 years of that, I simply stuck another piece of plywood over the affected area and screwed to to the floor. Problem solved. When that piece rots, I'll pull it up and replace it with another patch. I don't think Killz or paint would have slowed or stopped this process. My sulcatas are also messy, but nothing like these leopards.

I don't use OSB for any part of the box construction.

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Paradise
I bought several sheets of 1/2” exterior ply and one of OSB. It was only after that I started the build that I came back here to look for housing ideas. Our ideas are remarkably similar. My niche for the heater will have reflective backing, but that’s about the only difference. Even with the OSB layer on the bottom (facing the ground), I figure he’ll outgrow this one before it dies itself, so I’m good.
I bought a 400w oil heater for basic heat and I’ve got some good thermostats (and I’m using your idea for a container), so I’m confident for the winter. Only worry is the power company shutting off power to ‘keep us safe’ every week or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only worry is the power company shutting off power to ‘keep us safe’ every week or so.
We have that problem here too. I got a gennie to solve that one. Now I've heard that they are citing people for emissions for running a gennie. Going from bad to worse in this state, I tell ya...

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Paradise
That’s crazy. We’ve not had that but it wouldn’t surprise me. I live in Paradise and I’m one of the ‘lucky’ who came out with a house. I’m looking to move to Idaho next year.
I go to sleep every night to the sound of gennies running because the folks have no power. I don’t know what the future holds or what is coming, but I know I don’t wanna be here when it comes.