Doris update!

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
Hi all! I don't log on often but wanted to do an update on Doris! Got her as a hatchling at the end of October 2018 so she's ~7 months and 4 inches now (don't know her actual sex so I just call her "she"). She went outside for the first time today (with constant supervision since I don't have a good pen) and loved it so this week I'm going to work on making her a daytime outdoor enclosure.

I can't believe how big she's gotten and I'm really happy with how smooth she is! Her temp and humidity both stay around 82-85, I wanted humidity in the 90s but couldn't sustain it so I'm really glad to see she's growing smooth anyways.

doris 1.jpg doris 2.jpg Doris 3.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, isn't she beautiful! I'm very happy to hear that you and she are doing so well!

We could use an update just a bit more often! [emoji2]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Always nice to see a healthy & happy :tort:

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
Finished her outdoor setup last night! It was very quick and easy to build using half thickness cinder blocks. I don’t have exact measurements but it’s roughly 12’x3’. The top is just an old puppy pen that I have unfolded. I put all her fake plants and orchid bark humid pile in it from her indoor enclosure and am going to seed the rest with tort friendly greens (would love suggestions here!). Substrate is just top soil with peat moss over the top. Only cost me $75 total.

FCAF7EC7-D8CD-4BCF-A4CD-2EDB11A21D32.jpeg 122C6F76-229D-4DE8-AF63-798D6F698F48.jpeg 16FEA814-1C2F-475A-BB3B-71EEF265CDEF.jpeg E1A38378-7A09-4FB7-BAAB-E754241D6E93.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know much about redfoot...do they dig much?

Is there anything to keep her from digging under the house, or under the cement wall?

Just something to think about...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It might just be the pictures but your babies carapace does not look right to me? Can you take another picture closer up? It actually looks like it's completely covered in shell rot.

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
It might just be the pictures but your babies carapace does not look right to me? Can you take another picture closer up? It actually looks like it's completely covered in shell rot.

See this thread. She developed little white spots all over her shell shortly after arrival that got wider and less distinct (like Anyfoot’s example) until the light parts of the scutes were their current color and new growth never had any. Still not sure what it was.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/doris-has-weird-specks.170926/

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
Yeah I’m not sure what it was. I just gave her a good scrub down with a toothbrush and put some clotimazole cream on her just in case because I do believe she may have a bit of fungus on her plastron. She was not happy about it, pooped on me, highly ungrateful. Shell feels nice and solid though, no softness or flakiness so I’m not super worried.

Attachments

• CDDED5DF-EA39-4DF6-A06B-CCB567920EE8.jpeg
    CDDED5DF-EA39-4DF6-A06B-CCB567920EE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yeah I’m not sure what it was. I just gave her a good scrub down with a toothbrush and put some clotimazole cream on her just in case because I do believe she may have a bit of fungus on her plastron. She was not happy about it, pooped on me, highly ungrateful. Shell feels nice and solid though, no softness or flakiness so I’m not super worried.
That picture actually looks a lot better, like it's healing. It's unique looking actually kind of cool! I know what you mean about not being happy with ya. I just gave my buddy a soak and coconut oil job and he stormed off after and gave me the stank eye.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try rubbing in some coconut oil, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then gently polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

You did a nice job on the enclosure, but looking at the pictures makes me want to get in there and smooth and pack down the dirt!

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
Try rubbing in some coconut oil, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then gently polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

You did a nice job on the enclosure, but looking at the pictures makes me want to get in there and smooth and pack down the dirt!

Just seeded it today so it’s tamped now, can’t wait to see what comes up over the next couple of weeks!