don't get overwhelmed :)

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi Newbies, and yes I am one too. Just don't get overwhelmed. If this is your first tortoise and you are like me and did research before hand you may have been giving the wrong info. The people here are great. They will help you each step of the way. I correct things as I can. First to go was the light, water bowl, feeding dish and substrate.
My enclosure is wrong but i will be building a new one soon. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem silly to you. Always keep your packaging and receipts. The hardware store will be your new friend. Petstores often are over priced. So welcome to the forum and enjoy your new family member.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So agree with the above. Also, don't forget, we have all been in your shoes at one time or another.
Also, even if you are new to this forum, but not new to tortoises, don't forget, we are all here to learn and help. Don't get offended if your old ways are not except well in this forum. There are many newer better ways and the members trying to explain them to you and pointing out what you are doing wrong is not meant to offend you or anything like that. We assume you came and joined to learn.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Hi Newbies, and yes I am one too. Just don't get overwhelmed. If this is your first tortoise and you are like me and did research before hand you may have been giving the wrong info. The people here are great. They will help you each step of the way. I correct things as I can. First to go was the light, water bowl, feeding dish and substrate.
My enclosure is wrong but i will be building a new one soon. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem silly to you. Always keep your packaging and receipts. The hardware store will be your new friend. Petstores often are over priced. So welcome to the forum and enjoy your new family member.

I am realizing this minute by minute. Lol. I spent so much time doing research to make the ultimate home for my new Russians. Thought I had it perfect, read all the care sheets (there are a million, all different). I was sure about everything but the light I had (I just took back my cfl and exchanged it for a 24" reptiglo tube. I went over to Lowe's and bought a $13 hardwired light, put a cord on it and it works great.) As I began to explain to people what I had done I got a lot of "you don't want that" and "get rid of that". Well, I think I'm to the point now where what I have is very common and I'm going to stick with it until there is a need change. Just going to keep asking my newbie questions and go from there.

Thanks to all who have answered/commented on my post btw. This is truly one of the friendliest most helpful sites I've joined.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Congrats on your new Russians! You are doing a great job trying helping these tortoises and giving them the best home you can. I look forward to pictures & names :)

Littlest Hobo

Argh, I've just posted my own thread... I have no idea if the advice I have been given so far is right or not. The breeder gave me a 'starter' table complete with heat and uv lamps, and substrate, so am presuming these are right. Hope someone is able to help on my thread. Thanks

Littlest Hobo

Thanks ZeroPilot. I have gone into detail on the other thread I have going, so am being given lots of advice. Just wanted to write on here to share that it is easy to get overwhelmed in response to the title of the thread! thanks

lollypop2210

I totally agree with this... just bought my very first Horsefield and I feel like everything I was told at the off set was wrong!!! I'm buying new everything as per the advice on here but I have had to order them from online as I live miles and miles away from the nearest supplier. The waiting is horrible though. Doing my best for him till they get here but I'm worried he might get ill whilst waiting for his new things!!

Never experienced this much panic and being so overwhelmed by all the information. Just want to get it right for him!!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I totally agree with this... just bought my very first Horsefield and I feel like everything I was told at the off set was wrong!!! I'm buying new everything as per the advice on here but I have had to order them from online as I live miles and miles away from the nearest supplier. The waiting is horrible though. Doing my best for him till they get here but I'm worried he might get ill whilst waiting for his new things!!

Never experienced this much panic and being so overwhelmed by all the information. Just want to get it right for him!!
Like I was told the other day it's never perfect. Take a breath. Relax. Change things as you can. I took things in steps. Could it kill or hurt him? Were the first things to go. I took everything wrong back to the pet shop. Explained why I was returning them, flip hazard, bad for eyes,just not needed.....

lollypop2210

Its good to know that others were in the same boat! I think once all my new equipment arrives he should be okay. A few minor tweaks but nothing too serious. But I just know I won't be able to not be nervous till its all here and set up properly! Thank you all for your advice and support you are all truly wonderful :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Its good to know that others were in the same boat! I think once all my new equipment arrives he should be okay. A few minor tweaks but nothing too serious. But I just know I won't be able to not be nervous till its all here and set up properly! Thank you all for your advice and support you are all truly wonderful :)
You are welcome. I don't have me tortoise yet. But I keep redoing and changing things. I worry about every little thing :) went to the store to pick up one thing a d got a bunch of things for Charlie's enclosure :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I found this forum little over an year ago and joined right away. I learn new things almost everyday no matter is in the plant ID, tortoise ID, enclosure setup.

I always said this is a great place to learn and share.

Mavrik

Nothing says that you are going to be 100% correct in everything you do the first time. I just got my first shelling about a year and a half ago, my Russian named Gorbachev (Gorbi or Gorbs for short). I also thought the same, that I knew everything I needed to know from the books and caresheets that I devoured with the abandonment of a newly-awakened vampire. But even now, I am still learning. Still changing things around in their enclosures. Still experimenting with setups, humidity, bedding, you name it. It's a constant learning experience, and not one that you will ever to be able to say "Okay, I know everything now!" because there will never be that consensus. That's what forums like this are about, many minds with varied opinions coming from a multitude of backgrounds. Welcome, strap in, and enjoy the ride! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh, I just love this forum. It's truly reactive and interactive, friendly, helpful and funny.
What a great place to learn, give your opinion and have fun too.
Just love it.

Mavrik

Oh, I just love this forum. It's truly reactive and interactive, friendly, helpful and funny.
What a great place to learn, give your opinion and have fun too.
Just love it.

I completely agree with that sentiment!