Don't do what I did yesterday. I almost lost my Cholla.

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
I hear people say "Why did you get tortoises? They are just reptiles that lay there!" Little do they know how much we get from our shelled friends!!! And just like dogs and cats, we accept them as our "kids". It's so sad to read these stories about lost friends!! But so good to hear that some of them end up good. Thanks for the reminder of how easy it is to be distracted for for just long enough to let these guys get lost.
And thank you for lovely reply!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Glad the outing ended ..... time to get a plastic box for outdoor outings or one of those christmas tree boxes people are mentioning or better still build an outside enclosure for sunny days. I think it is lovely to get the tortoise outside to stretch their legs but must be enclosed and safe.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Glad the outing ended ..... time to get a plastic box for outdoor outings or one of those christmas tree boxes people are mentioning or better still build an outside enclosure for sunny days. I think it is lovely to get the tortoise outside to stretch their legs but must be enclosed and safe.
Yes. Thanks. I tried to order one of those boxes on line last night and at every site where I looked they were all sold out. I'll keep trying.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
So I've already posted on this thread about my sulcata Kiwi and how I keep track of her, but I was talking to my mom when she reminded me of a sad story about a tortoise I used to have when I was 5 or 6. Basically when I was little a tortoise wandered into our yard and turns out it was from a neighbor nearby. They said that we could keep it, and I was overjoyed. After about a year of taking care of it, one day the russian tortoise, named Hermin (seriously, it was with an "i"), wasn't in his outdoor enclosure. We searched for days and finally we found him under a rosemary bush. As much as this would probably make the average tort owner freak out, we really weren't that worried about little Hermin because he was known to run away and come back later. He also didn't get the best care from the past owner or my family, but I was 7 and my parents said that "we are giving him the best care we can". Hermin stayed with us for another year until he escaped again, and this time I was 8 and was freaking out because I was older and the tortoise had been gone for a year. Another year later when I was 9, my dad and I went exploring down at the creek we lived by and sadly found a tortoise shell with nothing in it. So sorry to ruin the mood of all these amazing and stressful stories, but many stories don't end happily ??. The good news is, I learned a good lesson and not only did Hermin have a good life (except for the improper care, which I feel really bad about) but now that I have had a traumatizing experience I will do all I can to make sure Kiwi never escapes. Hopefully this sad story doesn't bring down your mood too much, but instead reminds everyone to be careful and watch their little torts carefully!