SerenityBrave

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi there!
So I've had my three toed box turtle for around 8 years now. Someone gave her to me when I was like 10 and I had no idea how to actually care for her and it's kinda sad. But surprisingly she's still healthy, and I'm doing my best to better her life. I don't yet have my own job and money but I've been slowly getting my mom to buy my tortoise proper care items. Right now she's in the biggest rubbermade tub I could find with a big water bowl, a flower pot hiding spot, and some large tree bark pieces she likes to hide under. She has zoo med premium repti bark as substrate tho I need to get more to make it deeper I think.
Now I just need to get lights and heating and I have no idea what to get. If anyone has tips or suggestions that would be really nice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

This is the light I like to use:

Fluorescent UVB light a.jpgT-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

It provides good UVB and isn't too hot/harsh for the box turtle species.

For heat I use radiant heat panels:

radiant heat panel.jpg

Since you don't have your own income, and have to depend upon Mom to buy supplies for you, you can get by with a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat and take the turtle outside in the sun for at least two or three hours of real sunshine a week (then you won't need the UVB light). The turtle probably won't need night time heat.

Good job on trying to better your turtle's life.

Last edited:

SerenityBrave

Texas
Thank you so much! I'll try to get that UVB light asap, any specific fixture it needs?