DOG FOOD RECALL LETHAL DOSE VITAMIN D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Several popular brands of dry dog food have up to 70 times the safe levels of vitamin D and could kill dogs who eat them, the Food and Drug Administration warned Monday.

“Excess vitamin D in the diet can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling and weight loss. Vitamin D at toxic levels can cause kidney failure and death. Pet owners whose dogs have been eating the recalled brands and are showing these symptoms should contact their veterinarians.”

The makers of at least 11 different dog food brands are recalling their products. The full list is available on the FDA website. Recalled brands include Nutrisca, Natural Life, Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride, Abound (sold at Kroger), and Nature’s Promise (sold at Giant and Stop & Shop), as well as others.

All the brands buy their products from the same manufacturer. “Pet owners should discontinue feeding these recalled products,” the FDA said. “At this time, the only pet products that have been impacted are food made for dogs.”

daniellenc

Maryland
Well I’m in the clear on this one geesh. Calcium ratios are listed on dog food so I’m guessing the amounts were over the listed amount?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well I’m in the clear on this one geesh. Calcium ratios are listed on dog food so I’m guessing the amounts were over the listed amount?
Yes, it's not the amount listed on the food. It's a mistake that too much got put in that wasn't caught before it got packaged and sold.