Does your tortoise ever have an "off" day where it doesn't eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This could be the source of your problem. This is why so many of say not to use hay in a damp environment. Several of the things that grow on damp hay are quite toxic. I'd stop using it and hopefully this will pass.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The only reason I bought the hay is because the breeder recommended it. He has beautiful tortoises, but doesn't seem to follow the popular methods on this board. Before the tortoise arrived, I ordered 5 pounds. It's like a sleeping magnet. Wherever the hay is put down is where it sleeps.

But yes I'm done with it now and threw out the rest. I'll just use New Zealand sphagnum from now on, which I have never seen mold. The only problem with that is it flattens out as it gets moist, therefore killing the "hide" effect. I'll just have to keep putting down fresh loose moss every few days on the sleeping spot.

I'll see if things get back to normal after the change. It did eat earlier today, at around 9 am, which is a good sign. All the Mazuri is gone, plus I gave a cucumber slice as a treat and that's gone also. He's now basking and looking no worse for the wear.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes, he/she/it (I use all those pronouns) is doing much better. The appetite seems to have increased. No more noon bedtime.

I put down sphagnum moss in place of the hay, but he doesn't want to sleep there anymore. Now he sleeps under the half log up by the basking light. The humidity is still good on that end, especially at night when it's fully covered and it's 90%+ all around.

I'm wondering if there's artificial hay out there that's tortoise safe? Like that stuff that goes in Easter baskets? I'd be afraid he would try to eat it and choke.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tortus said:
Yes, he/she/it (I use all those pronouns) is doing much better. The appetite seems to have increased. No more noon bedtime.

I put down sphagnum moss in place of the hay, but he doesn't want to sleep there anymore. Now he sleeps under the half log up by the basking light. The humidity is still good on that end, especially at night when it's fully covered and it's 90%+ all around.

I'm wondering if there's artificial hay out there that's tortoise safe? Like that stuff that goes in Easter baskets? I'd be afraid he would try to eat it and choke.

I have never heard of any. My Sulcata eats Timothy Hay. So it does not last long in the enclosure. I am really glad to hear s/he is doing better :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
RE: Does your tortoise ever have an "off" day where it doesn't eat?

Mine wouldn't sleep on her moss at first either. She tried to eat it and then slept at the other end for a few days under a log at the warm-day cool-night end. She sleeps on it now she's used to it though so hopefully yours will too.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks, Erin.

Laura he used to sleep buried in the moss before I started introducing the hay. I guess he got spoiled. I know torts don't like sudden changes so we'll see what happens.

It's nice outside right now, and I think he knows it. He's running all over the place. My Uromastyx got like that too when the weather was fair. I'm not sure if they can smell the outside or what, but they know.

Can't wait for summer!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
RE: Does your tortoise ever have an "off" day where it doesn't eat?

Oooohh, I wasn't aware they don't like sudden changes, it makes sense obviously because it takes them a while to settle into a new enclosure and try new food. speaking of which mine tried cactus for the first time ever last week and she loved it!! I think mine is comfortable now. Had her 7 months and she knows my voice = food!!

Really glad to hear yours is back to normal though :) its horrible when they're not themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.