Does your tortie cuddle?

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury
I have my Russian tort, Morla, whom I rescued last Sept (2019). I was told anywhere from these torts should not be handled to they can love human attn. I decided to try the latter....

She is a VERY relatively people-friendly girl--she never really pulls in when anyone touches her (though she won't lay all relaxed and splayed out with strangers either). And I held her some in the beginning, to now, holding her quite a bit, where she can walk around or cuddle with me on my chest or under my chin while I watch YouTube.

The other day, I just melted when she moved out from under her blanket, stretched her head out, and put her head in the crook of my shoulder/armpit, went to sleep. It was so cute to see her little sleeping face! (Usually if she moves up, she tucks under my chin--see pic--although I woke her getting my camera to snap a pic.)

Do torts usually get this sweet and cuddly? She doesn't follow me around like other ppl's torts but I adore that she seems to like being near me (sometimes even leaving her pet heat pad to lay on me instead), and I'm wondering if that's typical of Russies, or I just have an especially wonderful gal?View attachment 289538
My Russian does exactly the same! If I walk up to his enclosure and he’s up at the fence saying hello! If he’s out in the garden with me and I’m on the floor gardening he crawls over from however far away he is and demands attention! Tortoise all have there on personalities! Mine is a little monkey, but when he calms down he loves a good stroke or some cuddles!

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
My, pumpkin, doe get under my chin, but I think it's more of feeling safe, and warm, but she does love to be talk to, and will bang on the front of her encloser if you don't pay attention to her, she also love to be sang to, she loves you are my Sunshine, it's so cute she comes to your side, or if in her home, she will come to the side your at and turn her head and look at you, it's so sweet when she does this
My torts also tap the front of their enclosed when they want food.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
That's AWESOME! And he clearly loves you! (Yeah, @ZEROPILOT --check out that last pic! ???) That is so cool! He must have been a really good person in a past life!

Every day he crawls to the top of whatever I have given him to eat. (he actually looks around for the highest pointed object)... and crawls to the tippy top of it .... and I swear to god.. i think he is saying “ AA—OOH!!”
Like Freddie Mercury does. Lmao ?
I will send you footage if ya don’t believe me!! It happens every day!! ... now I
“Axe” you..... could you throw something like that out???? (Said like the girl from my cousin Vinny)....?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Every day he crawls to the top of whatever I have given him to eat. (he actually looks around for the highest pointed object)... and crawls to the tippy top of it .... and I swear to god.. i think he is saying “ AA—OOH!!”
I will send you footage if ya don’t believe me!! It happens every day!! ... now I
“Axe” you..... could you throw something like that out???? (Said like the girl from my cousin Vinny)....?
At best, I'd release him outside.
At best.

Sa Ga

MN
Oh, no! As long as it wasn't poisonous or a spider (sorry...can't do it!), I'd keep or rehome it!

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
No, I'm telling you. Zero, it's loooooooove! Lol. (Ok, ok, more so on my end, and greedy warmth-seeking on hers...I'll take it!)

Alas, I'm inclined to agree with you...(but she has left her heat pad, which she absolutely loves!, a few rare times to specifically seek laying/going to sleep on me).

I am just wondering if other people's torties "heat-seek " them too? I'd started this venture expecting a pet more like Oadi the Toadi (a wild common toad I rescued when hit by neighbor's weed whacker and thus can no longer feed self)--mostly tolerates being handled, but makes it clear she is JUST tolerating you. Even when she's cold and is enjoying a sit on your warm inner arm, she's alert and ready to run as soon as she's warm! Morla on the other hand, lays down truly relaxed, and cuddles in.

I'm curious if other people's torts cuddle (I'd love to see a cuddly Aldabra or Sulcata!)....
Hmmm...if my tort Tank did cuddle under my chin, it would make for a great "Life Alert" commercial as he weighs 100lbs! lol

Sa Ga

MN
Hmmm...if my tort Tank did cuddle under my chin, it would make for a great "Life Alert" commercial as he weighs 100lbs! lol
Yeah, that would NOT be calming! But super cute! (Well, the tort would be anyway!) And he could give you a BIG hug!