Does your tortie cuddle?

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
It' really cool, most people would not have cared, and thought she was just a toad, do you hibernate her? Or just let her be?just curious about what it takes to care for a toad, I don't plan on taking any out of nature, there not a pet for me, but working for a pet supplier, we do get people who rescued different animals, and come in looking for supplies,
I feed her a worm (nightcrawlers, not the red wigglers) 1x/week and 4 Dubia roaches 1x/week. I use an old credit card to carefully open her mouth and slide the food in. I dust these w/ calcium and vitamins.

20200403_135705.jpg
This is her 20L aquarium. The big white bowl has organic dirt for digging, and the glass pumpkin has sphagnum moss for humidity. The shallow white dish is her water dish, and small white bowl is where I put Dubias for her to chase for enrichment. She switches between the dirt, the pumpkin, and the "Mufasa rock" (as Eric calls it) for her fave place to be, though she always loves her bridge in the back (under the humidity gauge) and big brown fake branch for just perching and looking around.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do believe that most people tend to anthropomorphize tortoises. They are prehistoric animals, supposedly without the capacity for emotion...with that said...I give you Bob...I used to think he really loved me, he'd follow me around, he made personal appearances, he was on TV twice and in the newspaper here 3 times and The Fresno Bee once. Most old timers here will tell you about the 'Bob stories"' I wrote, they were just loved by the people here. It was obvious to anyone who saw us together that we had a different and special relationship. One of the Forum members was so taken by Bob and his stories that she flew here from Denver simply to meet Bob...he was one of a kind. I tried to convince myself that to Bob I was just 'the Food Goddess'. but it was just too obvious to anyone, that our relationship was different.
I have spent time with Big Sam and Knobby...trying to do the same things for/with them that I did for Bob. To no avail...I will never have another relationship with another tortoise like I did with Bob. IView attachment 289576 was very lucky to experience it.
I suppose its perfectly possible that some of the giant species have larger brains and can process more.
I never forget BOB.
He is always in the back of my mind whenever I'm posting about tortoises and affection.
My experience with my Redfoot over about 30 years is different than others.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have my Russian tort, Morla, whom I rescued last Sept (2019). I was told anywhere from these torts should not be handled to they can love human attn. I decided to try the latter....

She is a VERY relatively people-friendly girl--she never really pulls in when anyone touches her (though she won't lay all relaxed and splayed out with strangers either). And I held her some in the beginning, to now, holding her quite a bit, where she can walk around or cuddle with me on my chest or under my chin while I watch YouTube.

The other day, I just melted when she moved out from under her blanket, stretched her head out, and put her head in the crook of my shoulder/armpit, went to sleep. It was so cute to see her little sleeping face! (Usually if she moves up, she tucks under my chin--see pic--although I woke her getting my camera to snap a pic.)

Do torts usually get this sweet and cuddly? She doesn't follow me around like other ppl's torts but I adore that she seems to like being near me (sometimes even leaving her pet heat pad to lay on me instead), and I'm wondering if that's typical of Russies, or I just have an especially wonderful gal?View attachment 289538
Yes.. jacks always the lil spoon though lmao

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My tortoise hates me. I'm only good for food.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So...I'm scrolling slowly down and reading about how tortoises cuddle...Bob....Monstro gets on my lap, my tortie snuggles under my chin...MY TORTOISE HATES ME...made me spit coffee out my nose..Lmao...

Sa Ga

MN
I suppose its perfectly possible that some of the giant species have larger brains and can process more.
I never forget BOB.
He is always in the back of my mind whenever I'm posting about tortoises and affection.
Your redfoot sounds like a hoot! Can u post a pic of him?

Sa Ga

MN
I never forget BOB.
Morla's brain is HUGE, thank you very much!

Well, ok, not really, but her heart is nine times larger! ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I have my Russian tort, Morla, whom I rescued last Sept (2019). I was told anywhere from these torts should not be handled to they can love human attn. I decided to try the latter....

She is a VERY relatively people-friendly girl--she never really pulls in when anyone touches her (though she won't lay all relaxed and splayed out with strangers either). And I held her some in the beginning, to now, holding her quite a bit, where she can walk around or cuddle with me on my chest or under my chin while I watch YouTube.

The other day, I just melted when she moved out from under her blanket, stretched her head out, and put her head in the crook of my shoulder/armpit, went to sleep. It was so cute to see her little sleeping face! (Usually if she moves up, she tucks under my chin--see pic--although I woke her getting my camera to snap a pic.)

Do torts usually get this sweet and cuddly? She doesn't follow me around like other ppl's torts but I adore that she seems to like being near me (sometimes even leaving her pet heat pad to lay on me instead), and I'm wondering if that's typical of Russies, or I just have an especially wonderful gal?View attachment 289538
If I cuddled with mine they would just poop and pee all over me lol ?

jeneliza

burton michigan
I feed her a worm (nightcrawlers, not the red wigglers) 1x/week and 4 Dubia roaches 1x/week. I use an old credit card to carefully open her mouth and slide the food in. I dust these w/ calcium and vitamins.

View attachment 289580
This is her 20L aquarium. The big white bowl has organic dirt for digging, and the glass pumpkin has sphagnum moss for humidity. The shallow white dish is her water dish, and small white bowl is where I put Dubias for her to chase for enrichment. She switches between the dirt, the pumpkin, and the "Mufasa rock" (as Eric calls it) for her fave place to be, though she always loves her bridge in the back (under the humidity gauge) and big brown fake branch for just perching and looking around.
That's really a good set up, looks like where she would live out side, thanks for sharing, and the information, if you don't mind may I save your post, so if I need the information to pass along I remember it,

Sa Ga

MN
That's really a good set up, looks like where she would live out side, thanks for sharing, and the information, if you don't mind may I save your post, so if I need the information to pass along I remember it,
Yes, and u may contact me if you end up having someone who needs help.

Sa Ga

MN
If I cuddled with mine they would just poop and pee all over me lol ?
Morla almost always goes RIGHT after her tubing (water) or in her soaks, or while she eats (pee) on her feeding mat/paper towels. She hardly ever goes in her cage (maybe 5 times since I've gotten her). So, I just hold her in puppy pee pads and really, if I just watch for those times (tubing, soaks, feeding), there's not a problem. I even have napped with her on my chest many times.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Awwwww! I would totally cuddle that little chomper! Are all of your gals biters? Is that just how RFs are?

Thanks so much for sharing!!! ???
Julio is the one with attitude.
The other, smaller three, including the one that hatched out there are all mellow.

Sa Ga

MN
Julio is the one with attitude.
The other, smaller three, including the one that hatched out there are all mellow.
Lol. She still is a cutie! Will she always try to bite (as in go after you) or just if you pick her up?