does this look like normal growth starting to happen?

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
Hello,
Do this look normal to you guys? It started to look like separation about 2 weeks ago. He gets soaked twice a week, for 20 minutes. Is he dry or? I'm worried. Is it growth?

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37

lynnefay

OREGON
if anyone has the time to look at the attached photo, i would appreciate it:)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
To me it looks like the carapace of a wild caught Russian tortoise...if that's not the case I still think it looks like he needs more soaking, a humid environment and the correct lighting, and excellent diet...and I say all these things because it could be all of them or just one or two...
so why don't you post photos of his habitat, light's... temps etc...and we will help you...the rough and warped looking carapace will stay that way, but if you do things correctly his new growth will be smoother...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
if anyone has the time to look at the attached photo, i would appreciate it:)
As @maggie3fan stated above, it is an older Russian tortoise that a good soaking and cleaning would also help us see what is going on better. I think what you are referring to is that apparent "cracks" forming around each scute. IF that is new, it would be new growth, As the bone below grows - it pulls the scutes apart slightly. This stimulates new kerating to grow and fill in the gap. With proper hydration the keratin will fill and swell and create a lighter colored band around each scute - which is the normal growth we see in growing tortoises.

Your tortoise seems older, and growth would be quite slow. So this could be the very early stage of this. A picture in another month will tell a lot.

lynnefay

OREGON
he is wild caught. 4.25". 50% humidity, 95 basking, out to 70. organic garden soil and coconut coir. i'm thinking growth, soaked twice a week, 20 mins. i'm at work, can't post pictures. i got him in june. eyes look great. eats daily