Does this info sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yes this is possible. My comp. won't let me open the link but there are records of Testudo ibera being extremely large that come from Bulgaria. Ironically, the largest examples of the eastern hermann's tortoise are also found in Bulgaria. These animals are often referred to as "giants". Testudo ibera, "turkish greeks" are large tortoises to begin with. My females are all between 8.5 and 10.5" and my males are between 6" and 8". Not sure what the article is talking about because I can't see it but when it comes to certain species such as ibera, they can and do attain large dimensions on some occasions. Hope this helps, I'm sure Dan will know more. ;)

-Chris

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Wow!
I do not think our Antakyensis will pack on 4 more pounds and 6 more inches?!

I was pretty happy when I though he was only going to live for 42 more years...our son will be exstatic that his little buddy will be around even longer perhaps:)

The article also states that torts do not age like humans and perhaps there is no such thing as a tortoise dying of old age...just improper care.

HermanniChris said:
Yes this is possible. My comp. won't let me open the link but there are records of Testudo ibera being extremely large that come from Bulgaria. Ironically, the largest examples of the eastern hermann's tortoise are also found in Bulgaria. These animals are often referred to as "giants". Testudo ibera, "turkish greeks" are large tortoises to begin with. My females are all between 8.5 and 10.5" and my males are between 6" and 8". Not sure what the article is talking about because I can't see it but when it comes to certain species such as ibera, they can and do attain large dimensions on some occasions. Hope this helps, I'm sure Dan will know more. ;)

-Chris

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Here is the article from the Austin Herp Society:)

Greek Tortoise
Common name: Greek Tortoise, Mediterranean Tortoise, Spur-thighed Tortoise
Latin name: Testudo graeca
Native to: the Mediterranean region, including southern Europe, the Middle East (as far east as Iran), and northern Africa.
Size: Adult Greek Tortoises can be up to a foot in length. The males are usually slightly larger than the females.
Life span: At least 100 years. There is evidence to suggest that turtles and tortoises do not age the same way other
animals do. In fact, there is little evidence that turtles die of “old age”. A well cared for Greek Tortoise will almost always
outlive its human caretaker.
General appearance: Greek Tortoises can be differentiated from other Asian tortoises by the spurs on the backs of their
hind legs and by an undivided supracaudal (“above the tail”) scute (shell plate). They usually have a mosaic-like pattern
of yellow or tan (sometimes with a hint of orange) alternating with grey to black on their shell and body. Some animals
can be almost entirely dark.
Housing requirements
Enclosure: Greek Tortoises are most easily kept outside in a sunny location, at least during warm months. Adults are not
good climbers, so any sturdy barrier a foot or more in height is good. They can be kept indoors in any large, open-topped
enclosure, such as an aquarium or tub. They will dig in soft soils. In central Texas, they will hibernate outdoors in the
winter if provided with protection from freezing temperatures, such as a cinderblock “cave” stuffed with fresh hay.
Temperature: Daytime temperatures should be maintained at 70° - 78° F with a basking temperature of 95° F. Nighttime
temperatures may be cooler (down to 50º F). They will hibernate in the winter if average temperatures drop too low, but
they must be protected from freezing.
Heat/Light: If kept indoors, they require a basking light (incandescent) for heat and a source of ultraviolet (UV) light
(fluorescent) for proper growth. A good light fixture with quality UV bulbs designed for desert reptiles is essential. If kept
outdoors, they must have areas of sun and shade during the day. Hot rocks and heating pads are not effective for tortoises
and should not be used. It is recommended to routinely check the basking and ambient temperatures of an indoor
enclosure with thermometers.
Substrate: The best indoor substrate is slightly damp, but not wet, peat moss at a depth of about two inches. If all feces
are removed regularly, this will only need to be changed twice a year. Outdoors, the substrate must be well drained and
not too rocky.
Environment: Warm air with a slightly damp substrate is ideal. Provide a shallow (one to two inches) water bowl to soak
in. A hide box will be used to sleep in at night.
Diet: Greek Tortoises are almost entirely vegetarian. If kept outside, they might rarely catch and eat an occasional
earthworm, insect, or other small creature, but meat is not essential for their long-term health. The basic diet should be
greens (romaine lettuce, escarole, and dandelion from the store, and wild-grown dandelion and sow thistle are all good).
Iceberg lettuce should be avoided. Supplement greens with fresh carrots, apples, bananas, peas, corn, squash, berries, and
tomatoes. Avoid anything with salt added. A source of calcium is also essential. This can be supplied with cuttlebone,
ground eggshells, crushed dolomite, or any number of commercial calcium supplements for tortoises. In warm weather,
tortoises should be fed every other day.
Maintenance: Water should be changed regularly. The substrate, whether indoors or out, should be kept slightly damp
but not wet. Feces should be removed regularly from indoor enclosures. Animals should be fed every other day.
Remember that in many places it is illegal to take wildlife out of the wild without the proper permits from local, state, or federal
authorities. Please do not release any captive reptiles or amphibians into the wild, as this will disrupt the natural order of our
environment.
Austin Herpetological Society
www.austinherpsociety.org

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Well one thing is definitely wrong in that article...where it states that males are usually slightly larger than females...it's the other way around.:p and in some cases (like in mine) females are double the size of males.

Tortoises and all chelonians do not age like humans, they are said to not senesce with age. There's a very interesting article about this in the June 2002 issue of Discover Magazine, where Justin Congdon of the E.S. reserve in Michigan studied Blanding's and Midland Painted turtles for years based on this bit of information. It also describes how turtles and tortoises could maybe one day lead us to a cure for cancer.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Colleen,
The European T.g.ibera do get very large, especially the ones from Bulgaria. The largest measured and weighed animal was a MALE and was 38cm and weighed almost 7,000g. Actually the 2nd and 3rd biggest were males also. So on the European mainland the males do get to be the same size or larger than the females.
Here are some pictures of a large female http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18505
Age wise, a 100 years is very possible for a Greek tortoise.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
WOW!
Thank you so much for information:)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
wow:cool: didn't know that about the European males, I knew this with hermann's as I have had males that tower above females but never ibera. I have seen large males but all seemed to have been a bit smaller to much smaller.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
My two female Iberas are already close to 10 inches, and they're still relatively young and growing. Not sure of the exact age as I didn't buy them since they were babies, but I was told they're less than 10 years. So I'd believe if someone says their Iberas is 1ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.