Does the size of the hide matter for a hatchling?

camm3

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I initially started with a smaller hide, which she really enjoyed and used all the time. For the two weeks I've had her. Thinking to offer more room, switched it out for a larger hide, but she won't go inside. Instead sleeps on the side of it, after roaming around her habitat. I feel she may be looking for her other small one. I don't know if the size matters or just what she's use to. I don't want to stress her out over this change. Any help would be appreciated :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum,

I switched up to larger hides when our Sully no longer fit inside easily. They seem to like "snug" hidey holes, that provide a safe secure area. Your new hide might not provide thst same level of comfort/secureness. Unless your old hide is just too small, switch back and see if tort is happy again.

A pix of your enclosure and hides will help.

Welcome, good luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would say yes, size matters.:)
Having said that, I think they get used to their hide and don't really like change. When they are very small I would get a hide that is around three times the tortoise size (with a smaller door) but one that is warm and soft inside (and maybe rather humid but not wet). Then you would not have to change it too soon and the tortoise would get used to it and feel comfortable and secure while he is growing. When he gets too big for it, a few months will have passed and he will be big enough to better "deal" with a change of hide. My opinion. I also think it should not be white or light colored, but that's just me.

camm3

Florida

I switched up to larger hides when our Sully no longer fit inside easily. They seem to like "snug" hidey holes, that provide a safe secure area. Your new hide might not provide thst same level of comfort/secureness. Unless your old hide is just too small, switch back and see if tort is happy again.

Welcome, good luck

Welcome, good luck.
Thank you! I changed it back to the smaller one and she is much happier :)

camm3

Florida
I would say yes, size matters.:)
Having said that, I think they get used to their hide and don't really like change. When they are very small I would get a hide that is around three times the tortoise size (with a smaller door) but one that is warm and soft inside (and maybe rather humid but not wet). Then you would not have to change it too soon and the tortoise would get used to it and feel comfortable and secure while he is growing. When he gets too big for it, a few months will have passed and he will be big enough to better "deal" with a change of hide. My opinion. I also think it should not be white or light colored, but that's just me.
Very helpful information! Thank you for your advice :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
All reptiles, including chelonians, prefer snug hides over roomy ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I initially started with a smaller hide, which she really enjoyed and used all the time. For the two weeks I've had her. Thinking to offer more room, switched it out for a larger hide, but she won't go inside. Instead sleeps on the side of it, after roaming around her habitat. I feel she may be looking for her other small one. I don't know if the size matters or just what she's use to. I don't want to stress her out over this change. Any help would be appreciated :)

Most tortoises don't like change. If your tortoise had gotten used to a larger hide from day one, it wouldn't like the smaller one. Its the change they don't like.

Second thing is that sulcatas seem to have an innate eversion to any sort of hole in the ground. Seems like they are instinctively afraid of whatever larger African animal made the hole. This is part of why they will avoid a new hide until they get used to it and realize that there is not tortoise eating monster inside of it. You can get them used to it quicker by putting them in the hide after dark every night for a while.

camm3

Florida
Most tortoises don't like change. If your tortoise had gotten used to a larger hide from day one, it wouldn't like the smaller one. Its the change they don't like.

Second thing is that sulcatas seem to have an innate eversion to any sort of hole in the ground. Seems like they are instinctively afraid of whatever larger African animal made the hole. This is part of why they will avoid a new hide until they get used to it and realize that there is not tortoise eating monster inside of it. You can get them used to it quicker by putting them in the hide after dark every night for a while.
Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I dont know about sulcatas but testudo species definitely prefer small hides.
They know it's much safer for them if they can feel the walls all around them. Big predators can't reach inside and if a smaller one tries to pull them out they just have to strech their legs to be securely anchored by their claws.