Does she look dehydrated or sick?

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hey guys, Nova just recently had a enclosure substrate change I added coco choir and orchid bark, I’ve noticed she’s been yawning a lot and was sticking her head in and out of her shell but she’s been pretty active I haven’t seen any discharge or bubbles. Another thing that’s kinda concerning me is she won’t eat as much as she use to?? Usually she pigs out right when I put the food out and now she will pick at it and then walk away. I’m not sure if it’s from switching the substrate or if she’s getting a RI again? Any advice would be appreciated especially if I need to get her into the vet.

Attachments

• A611B5C4-E91D-499D-8821-C8D63E516893.jpeg
    A611B5C4-E91D-499D-8821-C8D63E516893.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any change can put them off a bit. A safe bet is to raise the temps 5-10 degrees all around for a week or two just to be safe.

What substrate did you have before?

nicoleann2214

NY
Any change can put them off a bit. A safe bet is to raise the temps 5-10 degrees all around for a week or two just to be safe.

What substrate did you have before?
Her temps are 88, so should I creep it into the 90’s?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Her temps are 88, so should I creep it into the 90’s?
I like the ambient to creep into the low 90s during the day and drop to 80 at night. 85 in this case since we are, seeing if we can stimulate some appetite, and being careful to avoid a RI.

Moniaka

Norwich
Hi,
I agree, increasing temperature can help if this is a beginning of infection.
Also, I would probably soak her more often in warm water with some Reptoboost, just to make sure sure she's hydrated and get some electrolytes into her :)
Checking her weight now and in couple of days will tell you if she's not lost any as she's eating less...

nicoleann2214

NY
I like the ambient to creep into the low 90s during the day and drop to 80 at night. 85 in this case since we are, seeing if we can stimulate some appetite, and being careful to avoid a RI.
Hi Tom, so she still isn’t really eating much she will pick at her food and walk away. She usually eats like two bowls a day and hasn’t really touched the food I put in there, she’s not acting like she’s sick and as I said before I haven’t seen any bubbles? I’ve kept her temps in the 90’s. Although she will eat some mazuri but I’m really baffled why she isn’t acting right? Do you think I should bring her to the vet? Or wait it out a bit more.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Have you been soaking her, if so how often

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Have you tried soaking with water and pureed carrot baby food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, so she still isn’t really eating much she will pick at her food and walk away. She usually eats like two bowls a day and hasn’t really touched the food I put in there, she’s not acting like she’s sick and as I said before I haven’t seen any bubbles? I’ve kept her temps in the 90’s. Although she will eat some mazuri but I’m really baffled why she isn’t acting right? Do you think I should bring her to the vet? Or wait it out a bit more.
How long have you had her?
What does she weigh?
Where did you get her?

nicoleann2214

NY
How long have you had her?
What does she weigh?
Where did you get her?
I got her from a pet store not knowing about being brought up in dry conditions, you helped me out way back when and I’ve corrected her conditions with the closed chamber, since then she was fine she did have a RI when I very first got her but I thought I knocked it out of her with Baytril I brought her to the vet like the first month I got her.. I’ve had her for 5 months and she’s been gaining steady weight she weighs 414 grams. Since then she was doing really good, I changed her enclosure up and she started to not eat much although the only thing I changed was the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got her from a pet store not knowing about being brought up in dry conditions, you helped me out way back when and I’ve corrected her conditions with the closed chamber, since then she was fine she did have a RI when I very first got her but I thought I knocked it out of her with Baytril I brought her to the vet like the first month I got her.. I’ve had her for 5 months and she’s been gaining steady weight she weighs 414 grams. Since then she was doing really good, I changed her enclosure up and she started to not eat much although the only thing I changed was the substrate.
Hmmmm... If the substrate is the only variable, maybe it was a bad batch?

nicoleann2214

NY
She has been yawning a lot, but usually in the morning. I’m not sure it’s just the brick coco choir and repti bark. She burrowed in it so I’m not sure if that’s the issue. :/
Hmmmm... If the substrate is the only variable, maybe it was a bad batch?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I personally do half and half or a little more water. The carrot soaks work really good for my newer to me, Miss Dexter Persimmons. I have the Pedialyte if the carrot soaks don't work in a couple of days. My opinion I am not an expert but if worked for me. This was when he was sluggish and not eating well. Do you think yours could have ate something?

nicoleann2214

NY
I personally do half and half or a little more water. The carrot soaks work really good for my newer to me, Miss Dexter Persimmons. I have the Pedialyte if the carrot soaks don't work in a couple of days. My opinion I am not an expert but if worked for me. This was when he was sluggish and not eating well. Do you think yours could have ate something?
I don’t think so? I’m not sure, all her poops have looked fine.