Does my tortoise look healthy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

npetrides21

5 Year Member
Does my tortoise look healthy

Hi I have had my tortoise MALUA for about 4 years and he is a boy I'm new to all this so I was wondering whether you guys can help me on checking whether my tortoise looks healthy e.g the shell, I do my best to look after him he is the best thing I have ever got very funny when he tries to bite my toes haha

Thanks in advance

View attachment 56031

View attachment 56033

View attachment 56034

Last edited by a moderator:

npetrides21

5 Year Member
Hi I have had my Russian tortoise for about 4 years now named MALUA and I just need help to identify whether he is in healthy condition e.g. His shell, I do my best to look after him every day he is so funny the best thing I have ever got and very funny when he tries to bite my toes haha

Thank you in advance

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379502472.022201.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379502483.408206.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379502516.685752.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Actually, I check the health of a tortoise, not by looking at his shell, but rather checking out his eyes. The shell is merely a cosmetic covering, similar to your fingernails.

Your tortoise's eyes look a bit squinty, but that might just be the picture. Do you soak him, or does he have access to water daily?

npetrides21

5 Year Member
Yes every day and I bath home 3 times a week

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He is really cute!! What kind of bulb do you have?? I also noticed his eyes are a little squinty....just making sure you are not using a coil bulb.

Welcome to the forum!!!:) :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think you have a lovely russian there....if you are offering warm water soaks for at least 20-30 minutes then you are doing great...

What is an example of the diet you offer him?

I have to say that this species really really, did I say really :)P) loves to dig into the earth...so when I see this species housed on anything other than a earth like soil I often wonder if the tort is longing to dig in..I would change a section of the enclosure to peat moss or coco coir (about 5 or 6 inches deep) and then firmly press that down with my hand (this offers a sturdy walking surface while the tort gets use to the new ground) and let your tort have the option of either and as time goes on (a couple months) you can see if changing the entire enclosure substrate out would be desirable....just sharing what I would do is all...

npetrides21

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help I have checked his eyes and they seem to be fine i think it's just the photo that makes it look like that and I use a red uv heat light

Status
Not open for further replies.