Does my tortoise have a RI?

Turtleurtle

The tortoise is being a tortoise....the hissing you speak of simply means that the tort is retracting into the shell and in doing so they push a burst of air out of their lungs to offer up more space for their head and limbs....this is not an aggressive behavior...so not a bad thing. Now, the tort simply has not become use to you as of yet, this is a tortoise, it has a very slow rate of speed at doing its thing....relax :D

Feeding, if the tort does not like to be watched while eating, then place the food and then walk clear away and let the tort have its privacy, this is actually something that seems to be commonplace....

Lettuce varieties are a good food to offer as part of a balanced diet....

http://www.eatchicchicago.com/blog/2010/01/23/lettuce-varieties/

So, when you say you let her out of her cage to let her play? What does that mean, where is it that you are letting the tort go to play? Soaking is best done in a container that has tall sides so that the tort can not easily walk out...the goal of soaking is to get the tort partially submerged (not their entire shell, but about a quarter of the tortoise---leaving it so that the tort can walk about with their head above water) and to do so in a warm water soak and let the tort soak for about 20 minutes, making sure to keep the water from getting cold...

A tortoise has a good sense of smell...so if you make it routine to do your food offerings on schedule and do so in the same spot each time (especially until the tort realizes there is a routine)...tortoise are a HUGE creature of habit/routine...so the best favor you can do for the tort is to establish a routine...day lights on , food offerings, day lights off and night heat on (if needed), outside time---everything is going to help the tort to relax once it has a reliable routine...

Also, I hope your Mother gets better soon, but the tort will not catch a cold from your Mother :)
Also a lot of things I didn't know about there. Thanks for the info!