Does my tortoise appear healthy..?

Sajuro

Location (City and/or State)
Yelm Washington
Hello. My name is Sam and this is my boy, Hank. He is a russian Tortoise. I am not really sure how old he is but i’m guessing around 3-4? I recently adopted him, where he was only fed romain lettuce for about 2 years or so. He is my first tortoise. Sometimes he squeaks, but my vet is booked for month. I am also new to MBD and was wondering if he showed any signs? Thank you.

Pics are right after a soak :) He was never soaked in his old home. We are doing every other day, because his shell is not 100 percent smooth, and a bit rugged.

64BE488B-612B-4E30-9449-346A9CFA3B3C.jpeg5DD6EAA7-902C-4471-83BB-6C4076BD1499.jpeg200440F5-A983-4E14-B4AB-002F6CB14F62.jpegF65554F4-3F59-4FC0-89A8-5F43AE3F40C6.jpeg277AE7AD-3878-4E25-BF0E-11DE42F35DF7.jpeg 64BE488B-612B-4E30-9449-346A9CFA3B3C.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Do you know where Hank came from originally? Before the place where he only got romaine? His shell is not severely pyramided, and I don't think there is reason to expect MBD.

To me, it looks like he had a run in with a dog somewhere in the past.

I'll tag a member who's really good with things like this.

@Yvonne G

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
To me his carapace is rough looking and slightly bumpy, but most probably from a hard start to life.He doesn't look unhealthy. He's cute, read and follow the care sheet...

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
To me his carapace is rough looking and slightly bumpy, but most probably from a hard start to life.He doesn't look unhealthy. He's cute, read and follow the care sheet...

I am under the impression from around here that the rough indented shells on most russians result from their hatching wild, as most russians apparently are wild caught. Formed fully just from what I have read though, so open to being corrected.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not a Russian person so I always thought "how do they know it's wild caught?" So thanks for that bit of information
You know my sister is the Russian go to person?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I dont see any evidence of damage from dog chewing though, what are you seeing @KarenSoCal?

These holes on his carapace look to possibly be bites. Or something else that would have indented the scutes.

Try zooming in on them, especially the top photo.

20210109_043535.jpg

20210109_043742.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
These holes on his carapace look to possibly be bites. Or something else that would have indented the scutes.

Try zooming in on them, especially the top photo.

Thanks, I see what you mean, I think thats just normal russian shell bumpiness though tbh.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a wild caught tortoise, and probably around 10 years of age - almost fully grown. He's fine.

Sajuro

Yelm Washington
Hello. My name is Sam and this is my boy, Hank. He is a russian Tortoise. I am not really sure how old he is but i’m guessing around 3-4? I recently adopted him, where he was only fed romain lettuce for about 2 years or so. He is my first tortoise. Sometimes he squeaks, but my vet is booked for month. I am also new to MBD and was wondering if he showed any signs? Thank you.

Pics are right after a soak :) He was never soaked in his old home. We are doing every other day, because his shell is not 100 percent smooth, and a bit rugged.

View attachment 314969View attachment 314970View attachment 314971View attachment 314972View attachment 314973 View attachment 314969
Looks pretty good to me, shell is well formed and looks healthy, the white ring is new growth. No evidence of MBD. Are you all set up with your enclosure and everything? Mind showing us some pics?

I dont see any evidence of damage from dog chewing though, what are you seeing @KarenSoCal?

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Thank you for everyone’s replies! It makes me feel so much better to know he is in good condition. I know he came from Petsmart. The people I adopted him from bought him for their daughter, who knew nothing. I saw an ad for him on facebook and picked him up. I felt horrible for the little guy. I have him in a temporary 2x4 tub with two feet of mixed substrate. I am currently building a 4x4 wooden enclosure, so that I can get rid of his UVB round bulb, and get him a long UVB bulb. I will get pictures when I get home

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
Hey there and welcome!!! There’s definitely a lot to learn about keeping a tortoise. I am pretty new and constantly reading these posts and educating myself. Hope you have a great time with your new friend!! Thanks for rescuing Hank from a boring and possibly lethal existence!! ?❤️?