Does my Russian tortoise have hatchling failure syndrome?

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
You cannot watch him the whole day and every day if he eats it or not.:(
Yep your totally right i will go with orchard bark. also i don't really know if he/she has HFS the symptoms our not eating and inactive.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yep your totally right i will go with orchard bark. also i don't really know if he/she has HFS the symptoms our not eating and inactive.

Hi, how is your tort??? Have you seen any improvements after the soaks. Does he move around, open eyes and drink from the soak???

EE torts

USA
Hi, how is your tort??? Have you seen any improvements after the soaks. Does he move around, open eyes and drink from the soak???
well i haven't done the carrot soak yet because i haven't had the time to go to the store yet but i give regular soaks until i get the baby food. but his eyes our fine they actually wore never badethe first week i had him i had a compact florescent bulb thats when his eye was bad now its all good that i have the tube! he still is very inactive i have read hatchlings our normally inactive because they feel very vulnerable is that the case he only is out like 15 minutes of the whole day

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
well i haven't done the carrot soak yet because i haven't had the time to go to the store yet but i give regular soaks until i get the baby food. but his eyes our fine they actually wore never badethe first week i had him i had a compact florescent bulb thats when his eye was bad now its all good that i have the tube! he still is very inactive i have read hatchlings our normally inactive because they feel very vulnerable is that the case he only is out like 15 minutes of the whole day

Good, I mean about the eyes in the sense that some torts that are inactive, with their eyes closed, when out in the soak they become active, open eyes, submerge their mouth in the water and even poop.

EE torts

USA
Good, I mean about the eyes in the sense that some torts that are inactive, with their eyes closed, when out in the soak they become active, open eyes, submerge their mouth in the water and even poop.
i just got home from the store i bought carrot babby food i will try that tomorrow since it is already lights of in his enclosure.

EE torts

USA
i just got home from the store i bought carrot babby food i will try that tomorrow since it is already lights of in his enclosure.
good morning! i just gave him a bath bath carrot he did not eat any of it then i put it on my finger not mixed with water and he loved it he is eating a bunch of it of my finger. and yes he did bite me once but he is so tiny it did not hurt it actually felt good lol :) i certainly would not be able to do that when he is older

EE torts

USA
Here is a pic of him eating it. i did take a video but i could not upload it so here is a pic :)Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.17.47 AM.png

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
That seems like a very good sign. And also very adorable! At some point you'll wanna be careful not to over feed carrot because of high sugar content but for now while he isn't eating anything else and you're worried about hatchling-failure this should help a lot. Great work!

EE torts

USA
That seems like a very good sign. And also very adorable! At some point you'll wanna be careful not to over feed carrot because of high sugar content but for now while he isn't eating anything else and you're worried about hatchling-failure this should help a lot. Great work!
thank you so much! okay i will try to sneak some healthy food in there soon.

Bee62

Germany
Good to see him eating. Keep your baby tort warm and humid. Good luck !

EE torts

USA
okay i used to have a 60W bulb and today i saw i had laying around a ceramic 75W heat emiter and under the basking spot it is 95-107 it is 107 in a spot that he cant really reach so i think its fine.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Here is a pic of him eating it. i did take a video but i could not upload it so here is a pic :)View attachment 254835

That is sooo good!!! He has an appetite, keep on feeding him from your hands, try with the moistened pebbles and some finely chopped grass and romaine [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. He’s back!!!!

EE torts

USA
That is sooo good!!! He has an appetite, keep on feeding him from your hands, try with the moistened pebbles and some finely chopped grass and romaine [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. He’s back!!!!
okay i will try to feed some grass and romaine what is moistened pebbles?