Does my new Hermnn's Tortoise have pyramiding?

sharonclare

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, NY
Hi. I just received a baby Hermann's Tortoise that I purchased from Backwater Reptiles. He is a bit larger than I expected. His shell measures 2.5 inches long. I am not sure how old he is, (or if he's really a he). It's okay that he's not as small as I wanted, but I would like to know if his shell looks healthy. Does he have pyramiding? Should I be worried about his condition? He is active, eating, and chewing on a cuttlebone. I fed him some dandelion greens, kale, and edible flowers that I bought in Shoprite. I think they are marigolds. I planted some chia seeds in his enclosure today. I will also go to the health food store tomorrow and buy some wheatgrass. I was a little hasty purchasing him. I should have done more research as far buying him from a breeder instead of a online reptile shop, but he is cute, and we love him. He is in a 24"x18" Exoterra. I took off the top, and the doors, and made hills in the back. I used a mix of organic garden soil and playsand. I included a aloe vera plant, an african violet, and a couple of small spider plants, hide boxes, rocks, a dessert UVB light, and a basking light. I will build a turtle table for him in the near future. Please let me know what you think of his shell. Also how old do you think he is? Thanks so much.