Does my baby Indian Star have pneumonia?

Melissa N

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm really worried about one of my baby stars. It seems like she is doing most of her breathing through her mouth. I don't see any mucous around her mouth or nose but she occasionally will have a clear bubble come out of her nose. She's also making a small squeaking noise.

I called the vet but they don't have anyone that sees reptiles in until next week. They suggested I call an urgent vet clinic. I called them but they don't have anyone there that sees reptiles either. They also charge $175 to be seen plus whatever cost treatment is. I really can't spend that kind of money. Is there anything I can do for her until I can get her in next week?

Her enclosure is 90 degrees with a hot spot of 105. Night time low is about 75-78 degrees. Humidity is 80%.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions!

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
My sulcata does this sometimes if he grabs a piece of grass to long to swallow. Is it possible there is food caught in it throat. Speedy will do the same motion with his front legs to try to rip the grass out. Maybe try a soak to see if it will drink and maybe swallow. To me it almost look like it trying to force something down it throat. I am in no an expert. But short of a rush to the vet a good drink might get something washed down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep your night temps warmer for a while and see if that makes it stop. Don't go below 85 for a couple of weeks.

Stars like it hot. Even at night. Be sure to soak your tortoise every single day with the increased heat. You can spray the food with water too.

Melissa N

Pittsburgh, PA
Any bubbles coming from his nose?
Occasionally
Keep your night temps warmer for a while and see if that makes it stop. Don't go below 85 for a couple of weeks.

Stars like it hot. Even at night. Be sure to soak your tortoise every single day with the increased heat. You can spray the food with water too.
I've been soaking them everyday for 30 min. What's the best way to keep them warm at night? A ceramic bulb?

So do you think she needs to be seen by a vet ASAP? Or should I just wait and watch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Occasionally

I've been soaking them everyday for 30 min. What's the best way to keep them warm at night? A ceramic bulb?

So do you think she needs to be seen by a vet ASAP? Or should I just wait and watch?

CHE set on a thermostat is one way to do it. What have you been using for night heat up to this point?

I would just warm things up and see if symptoms stop.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Many members won't use heat mats as some consider them dangerous or unnatural and others say they dry out the substrate too much and reduce the much needed humidity.
i wouldn't use one myself.

Melissa N

Pittsburgh, PA
I feel like I'm the worst tortoise keeper in the world. I tried so hard...but failed . She was only 5 months old. I have 2 other babies. Are they going to die now too!?

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
Sorry for your lose. Having an animal die doesn't make you a horrible keeper. Some things are out of our control. The fact that you where worried enough to ask for help shows you cared. I would watch your others closely. You can't just assume it was your fault cause it passed away. From what I read most torts can go month or even years being sick before they pass away. 5 months could have been something from day one you just never noticed till now. Please don't beat yourself up. There is plenty on this forum to research from maybe the answers will pop up some day. But you still have 2 little ones to love as much as you loved to one you lost. Best of luck to you.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I feel like I'm the worst tortoise keeper in the world. I tried so hard...but failed . She was only 5 months old. I have 2 other babies. Are they going to die now too!?

No, this does not mean the others are going to die too! This could simply be an isolated incident caused by your tort eating something that blocked her ability to breath. However, I would monitor your other ones closely. Any signs of change in behavior I would take them to the vet, heck I might just take them anyway to get checked out. I would also post a few pics of your enclosure and setup just so a few experienced Indian star members might help find anything that may of contributed to your torts issues. Again, I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you can find peace.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I am going to guess a bit...

I don't think she was sick with a respiratory illness. She seemed pretty active and alert for her death to come so quick (assuming these posts were real-time). I am going to guess it was something "stuck" that caused the issue. Impacted or choked, like that. So I would guess it was not something you did or that your others are in danger of becoming ill. Watch them, yes, but I truly don't think it was anything you did temp wise, etc.

I do see moss in there, don't I? Could she have eaten it?