does Mazuri work for you? Good/Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Bill, no it comes in a plastic wrapped bail (50#). Down here in Texas, the wild deer don't recognize it as a food source at first because it is alien down here, but once they start eating it, it is difficult to keep enough out. Many of the farmed deer operations are using it with great success. In your area,not a problem, the deer are probably used to alfalfa and other forms of silage available on farms. If you want, PM me and I'll see if I can find any dealers in your area. For the small animal owner, they are going to start packaging it in 2 pound (?) packages also.

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in the PacificNorthWest and now in the middle of winter there aren't any grasses or weeds so I am feeding Bob grocery store greens given to me by the produce dept at Market of Choice, a high end grocery store. Now because Bob is just getting those greens, hay and nothing else he is prone to soft or runny poop. So I have discovered that if I use Mazuri 2 or 3 times a week his poop is pretty nice. I have about 1/4 of a bale of hay available to him at all times and even his runny poop has hay in it. At first I thought hay would keep his poop nice and firm but no deal. However, Mazuri keeps things runny nicely, as long as I use it 2 or 3 times a week he has nice well formed solid poop. I feed enough of a varied diet that I pretty much don't worry about what is in Mazuri and I will stop feeding it as soon as the grass starts growing again...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's a little perspective from the bird world. It sort of applies here too. Back in the old days, there was no pelleted parrot diets. Most people fed a seed mixture and little, if anything, else. Some people put out greens and fresh veggies too. Often, these parrots would just eats their favorite parts of their diet and skip the rest. Over time this would lead to malnutrition and other diet related problems. When pellets hit the scene, most people shunned them. Most of the birds wouldn't eat them. People said it was unnatural and didn't like the ingredient lists. "Birds don't go to a pellet tree in the wild", they would say. No, no they didn't. That's true. The people who persisted and took the necessary month or two to transition their birds onto a complete, balanced pelleted diet started seeing "excellent results". Overall health and vigor improved. Resistance to disease improved. Feather color and quality improved. Breeding, fertility, egg production, and production of healthy offspring increased greatly. Are these results excellent enough?

In my own collection of torts, Mazuri has helped to improve egg production in Delores, my adult female sulcata, from 7 eggs last year to 12 eggs this year. Last year three were fertile. I don't know how many are fertile yet this year, but I'll bet money its going to be more than 3. She's also acting like she's going to lay again. This would make this year her first double clutch, if it happens. Daisy ended her two and a half period of almost no growth and has now tripled her weight in the space of about 9 months on the Mazuri. She's still small, but she's catching up to "normal" weight and length for a three year old. Her health and activity level "seem" much better to me too. My baby leopards and sulcatas are all getting it too. They are growing at a "normal" rate and are all looking smooth and healthy.

Can you raise a healthy tortoise without it? Of course you can. Its still a good way to get balanced nutrition into any tort. Its also a good way to get much needed protein into your tort. Many top pros feel that the average tortoise is protein deficient due to our long held and mistaken idea that protein causes pyramiding. They need SOME protein and Mazuri delivers just the right amount and in the right way. It also compensates for any nutrient deficiencies that might exist in our torts diets. I don't have a lab to test samples of every food item they eat to check for nutritional balance, trace elements and the right amount and balance of each mineral and vitamin. Even if I had a lab, I don't even know what the "optimal" levels would be for any of these. However, I think the people who make Mazuri DO have a lab and DO know how to properly balance all of these elements.

I'm not saying that its the best thing ever invented. I'm not saying feed Mazuri and nothing else. I AM saying that its a good way to ensure proper nutrition and balance when fed in moderate amounts 2 or 3 times a week. We can argue the merits of the ingredient list all day long. We can argue whether or not its "natural" all day long. We can argue about whether torts can become "addicted" to it all day long (although I do think this is a silly concept). I don't , however, think anyone can argue that the overwhelming majority of tortoises that eat Mazuri in a supplemental way are not exceedingly healthy and prolific.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My RF gets it once a week ( I am referring to the mazuri) my boxies get it twice a week, my others do not care for it.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Mazuri works for me at all levels..as a staple, as a supplement and as emergency rations. Allow me to explain...

My adults are maintained outside in reasonably large, ~225 m² (~2000 ft²) or ~450 m² (~4000 ft²), enclosures. It doesn't take long for a dozen or more animals to lay waste to all of the edible weeds, grasses, etc. in an area that size. Even broadcast seeding with additional edible weeds, veggies, etc. does not succeed in providing a sustainable in-situ food source. The animals are on a seek and destroy mission for any seedling that manages to lift its little head skywards.

I was spending around $40 every other day purchasing fresh foodstuffs from super and grower's markets. Most of the greens were acquired from the supermarkets. Fruits and vegetables were usually purchased at the grower's markets. What started as 6 bunches of collards @ $2.88 each became 8 bunches because of the reduction in size after gasoline prices went up a few years ago. Fruits and veggies by the half bushel or 25 pound box have maintained their prices more or less though vary considerably based on season.

A typical feeding would consist of 3 - 8 bunches of collards, 3 - 8 bunches of turnips, 3 - 8 bunches of kale and a box of fruits and veggies for the outside crew and six 2 pound bags of chopped greens for those inside.

Recently, I found a 'local' greens grower from whom I can purchase twice the quantity at half the price. Of course, this grower and any other bulk source is over 40 miles away. Walmart is only 22 miles! Yes, I live in the sticks... Needless to say, time and gasoline costs are considerations in the expense of these fresh food purchases.

Now, I am the first to chant the "fresh is best" mantra but there are constraints among which time and money are the biggest. It didn't take too long to realize the torts were eating more and better than I was!

The comment made by the person from whom I purchased the Red-footed clan and the Yellow-footed gang did not escape me but I chose to ignore it initially. That was, "You will need to locate a Mazuri dealer...". BAH! Fresh is best!!

Cutting to the chase... A 25 pound bag of Mazuri costs $20 - $22 and will feed all of the outdoor crew twice. Far too often, the supermarket does not have one or any of the cut bagged greens from which the staple of the indoor crew's diet is comprised. A cup or five of Mazuri makes up the difference for less than $3 - less than the cost of one bag of greens. Picky eater? Moisten a little Mazuri with mango juice or a little mashed banana. If the animal is not already dead, it will likely eat!

With respect to growth, general health, breeding vigor and fecundity I have seen better overall productivity when Mazuri is included in the diet. The first few years the general egg production dropped markedly and is now slowly recovering. I have my suspicions the weather patterns in the last few years have a great deal to do with slowness of the recovery.

Is it addictive? No, not in the common sense of the word. It contains corn and corn has a mild sweetness to it. Much like the fat makes burgers 'addictive', that sweetness makes Mazuri the same. You might encounter 'withdrawal' symptoms (refusal of food) when offering customary foodstuffs to a tort that has grown accustomed to Mazuri but that will last only a few days until the tort is hungry.

I know why the "You will need to locate a Mazuri dealer..." statement was made. It was the sensible thing to do. Mazuri can be acquired through most outlets for Purina animal foods for those of you in need of quantity. It can be kept in or out of the bag without refrigeration for several months without issue.

I am not advocating that anyone commit to a manufactured diet exclusively but I am stating it can be used by anyone in certain circumstances. I still feed a variety of fresh foods to my collection and at the same time have upgraded my diet from Ramen noodles to Hamburger Helper!!

On a different note...
Doc, would there be concerns about A. niger and the potential of aspergillosis with the Chaffhaye, immunocompromised specimens not withstanding?

HarleyK

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
We keep our Mazuri in a large tupperware container in the fridge. Does anyone else refrigerate their mazuri? Is it necessary?

Is it necessary probably not, it may help though. Dr oz said we should keep vitamins jn tyr fridge

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have a 5 1/2" leopard that I've had for about a year. Some previous MBD and areas on the shell between the scutes that hadn't grown for years. About 5 months ago, I started her on mazuri. She has gained close to 300g, and areas where the natal scutes were touching since a hatchling are now growing. I'm convinced.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
HLogic said:
On a different note...
Doc, would there be concerns about A. niger and the potential of aspergillosis with the Chaffhaye, immunocompromised specimens not withstanding?

Not that I have heard of or read about. A. niger is not really one of the Aspergillus that is commonly diagnosed as a cause of aspergillosis, but as you know if you look long and hard enough, anything can be proven wrong. So far, so good on my critters...the ruminants are all getting fat and sassy and the torts all seem to make a b-line for the food pile every morning and cruise between the veggies, mazuri and Chaffhaye.

honu

5 Year Member
My tortoise likes it I heard it is a"Must have" from a tortoise seller...and great results so far!!!!:D

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I started giving it to my 2 rescues. They were severely underweight. I almost have them back where they should be. I swear by the stuff and they love it now. I soak it and mix it with cactus mostly. They are too small to eat it dry, but that time will come I'm sure.

ONielsen

5 Year Member
Never used it and never will.

Note!

Crude protein not less than.......................15.0% !!

Regards
Ole Nielsen
Med keeper/breeder

GBtortoises said:
Many people do not feed Mazuri as a staple, but feed it once or twice a week in addition to a staple diet of greens. Mazuri does have alot of questionable ingredients in it and according to the company's own ingredient values, 15% protein
GBtortoises said:
. I've only been using it for about two years, once a .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ONielsen said:
Regards
Ole Nielsen
Med keeper/breeder

Hi Ole:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mazuri has gone from banned to absolute for my torts! I used to be a label reader...Zoo Med Grassland has EVERYTHING a sulcata or leopard needs...but then again so does the backyard! I gradually worked in the Mazuri...and I now feed it every other day! Aladar loves it...dry or moistened...and the babies simply devour it!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I can understand feeding it occasionally as a supplement as some people have mentioned; as part of a balanced diet. And good point about being able to feed it if you run out of greens, are snowed in, etc. (although I keep frozen butternut squash and pumpkin for that reason...)
I still don't understand feeding it as a staple though...as some people have said, their torts get primarily Mazuri with "the occasional" spring mix?? Yikes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ONielsen said:

Note!

Crude protein not less than.......................15.0% !!

Regards
Ole Nielsen
Med keeper/breeder

GBtortoises said:
Many people do not feed Mazuri as a staple, but feed it once or twice a week in addition to a staple diet of greens. Mazuri does have alot of questionable ingredients in it and according to the company's own ingredient values, 15% protein
GBtortoises said:
. I've only been using it for about two years, once a .....

Ole, I used to think exactly that way too. Time and experience have changed my mind. What is it about 15% protein that you think is so bad. Thousands upon thousands of people are feeding Mazuri to all species of torts and not one single person has reported any problems from it. Some people, like you, and me in the past, have a strong bias against it, but why? It works. It produces excellent growth and results. It causes no problems. I look at it as cheap insurance in case there are any minor nutrient deficiencies in all the other stuff I feed them.

Anyway, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and to feed your tortoises whatever you like. I'm just curious about why you feel so strongly about it.

Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Evidently the studies "they" did said the tortoises needed 15% protein in their diets. That's why it is mfg'd like it is. It doesn't make any difference where that protein comes from, whether from corn leaves, cactus leaves, turnip greens or Mazuri. Just like the corn syrup commercial says, "your body doesn't know if it comes from sugar or from corn syrup." Neither does the tortoise's body know or care where his plant protein comes from. All plants have protein.

ONielsen

5 Year Member
Thx for the warm welcome.

Tom:
Ive allways used weeds as food for my tortoises.
I do think I got experience myself ... at least enough to know Id never use a substitute socalled "complete thing" whatever that means and esp. when I look into the ingredients, its not what I would use. It was said in another forum that ingrediens could be the same as for cereal! ?
Here in Europe its not common to use it and it seems it never will be that way. In Germany where there are "tons" of med. breeders... i got no knowledge of even one using it.
Im talking meds only !
But as I said before its up to everyone to decide whats they want to use for their tortoises.
I just dont like when it "sounds" like its Gods gift to tortoises.

I think the problem could be the ..AT LEAST 15 % !
could be 30%...50% ! who knows?
Apparently not the manufactor... otherwise they should be more precise.

Imho protein for meds should be fed as low as possible.
I think the meds requires different amounts of protein according to their age and the time of year. At least thats what I try to do and Im satisfied with what I see in my enclousures.

emysemys said:
Evidently the studies "they" did said the tortoises needed 15% protein in their diets. That's why it is mfg'd like it is. It doesn't make any difference where that protein comes from, whether from corn leaves, cactus leaves, turnip greens or Mazuri. Just like the corn syrup commercial says, "your body doesn't know if it comes from sugar or from corn syrup." Neither does the tortoise's body know or care where his plant protein comes from. All plants have protein.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
I got a 2lb bag from a meber here on TFO....tried it a couple times, torts seem to like it alright but they always went for the greens and veggies first.....it kinda smells a bit.......also noticed it spoiled quickly after weting it......the torts knda walked through it and thats not to sanitary...

Status
Not open for further replies.