does Mazuri work for you? Good/Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm glad Mazuri is good for them, but I can't help but be frustrated at how addictive it is :\ During the winter when I was having trouble getting decent greens I started giving a few pellets a week to my baby redfoot and he loved it. But...

He used to clear his bowl of greens and veggies... now he barely touches them. -_- Even after a week of no Mazuri he will hold out for it. I've tried sprinkling powdered pellets over greens... he just nibbles it off the surface and barely touches the greens.

It sucks because I spent a lot of time planting fresh greens for him in my garden. :( At least my other pets still eat them...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Ivyna J. Spyder said:
I'm glad Mazuri is good for them, but I can't help but be frustrated at how addictive it is :\ During the winter when I was having trouble getting decent greens I started giving a few pellets a week to my baby redfoot and he loved it. But...

He used to clear his bowl of greens and veggies... now he barely touches them. -_- Even after a week of no Mazuri he will hold out for it. I've tried sprinkling powdered pellets over greens... he just nibbles it off the surface and barely touches the greens.

It sucks because I spent a lot of time planting fresh greens for him in my garden. :( At least my other pets still eat them...

When a tort becomes obsessed with one food, I have heard others suggest chopping the greens more finely, and mixing the food of choice (in this case, Mazuri, might work better if soaked first) up in it. That way they have to take a bite of both. Then gradually reducing the amount of the desired food as needed.

Camelot

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I too never used to use it. I also found the ingredients list very un-impressive. However, an overwhelming number of top tortoise people swear by it and I've seen nothing but excellent results. I started using it almost a year ago, after several people recommended it, and I've had nothing but good results too.

I feed it about twice a week, soaked and mixed with greens.

Tom, this is my problem too. I just cringe when I see the high fat and protein content but so many others swear by it.

BUT why in the world would a Sulcata benefit in eating fat?

I'm about at my wit's ends however and am running out of ideas so I may be forced to try it.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
samstar said:
-Ej(Ed) has been feeding Mazuri to his torts for some 15 years already with excellent results.
-The zoos have been feeding Mazuri with excellent results to for over 10 years.
-My friend has been feeding Mazuri only for 4-5 years with good results, he said his torts are more active than ever.

Enough guys?

Can I feed them daily on Mazuri? Many people in my country told me feeding Mazuri daily will get too fat and cause pyramiding, is this true? thanks.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use it about once/month as a protein and vitamin supplement for my two cherryhead redfoot hatchlings.

I find Zoo Med's "Forest Tortoise" diet a bit more natural (mostly dried grasses, fruits, and a bit of fish protein) and use this about once every two weeks.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Hey guys I'm a brand new member but just wanted to share my experience with mauzuri! I have been feeding to my tortoises (sulcatas, leopards and Russians) once or twice a week for upwards of a decade and they are all incredibly healthy. I soak it before I feed them but never give more than they eat in a single siting as it spoils quickly. They get tons of fresh veggies, greens, and hay each day and are open to pasture grass most of the year so the mauzuri isn't their sole diet but they def get it regularly. They dont seem any worse for wear and occasionally if we have a sick hatchling or injured adult mauzuri will be the only thing I can entice them with! Overall I am very pleased with the food as long as it is being well supplemented and isn't being uses as the sole diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.