Does Littlefoot's shell look ok?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Lately, I have been noticing little white circles on Littlefoot's shell...kindof like when you leave a glass of water on the coffee table. I tried using a baby toothbrush to see if they would come off, but they didn't. He had a few when he got here about 3 weeks ago and I didn't think much of it, but I think there are more now. I've also noticed the edges of his scutes are ever so slightly raised, and some look a little warped on the edge. I know shells aren't as shiny and perfect as they always look in the pictures, but I just want to make sure he's normal.

Littlefoot is a 3.5 month old Hermann's tortoise who I got from HermanniChris (so we know he was started well). I keep him in an under-the-bed rubbermaid, it stays at 70-85% humidity, since he's so little. Temps range from 78 on the cool end, to 82 on the warm, and basking is about 100...he's rarely directly under his light though, usually he hangs out off to the side a bit, and he rarely goes over to the cool end. He likes his big sphagnum pile on the warm end and his hide over there and mostly just stomps around and sleeps and digs all day. Night time drops to about 72-74 (room temp). He's active, eating well, gets 1-2 soaks a day for about 30 minutes each. He's fed spring mix daily, with 1-2 things rotated in with it each day (Mazuri, Repashy Grassland Grazer, and other greens that get rotated weekly). He gets phosphorus-free calcium with D3 supplements on Thursdays and Sundays...about 1/16th-1/8th of a tsp sprinkled on his food. His light is a 100w Powersun. Substrate as 2 parts ecoearth, 1 part organic potting soil, and 1 part sphagnum moss mixed together, and he's got lots of moss on top in some spots to hang out in too.

I guess I'm worried about pyramiding, shell rot, or if maybe he's too hot or something and it's warping his shell. Other than advanced pyramiding though, I don't really know how to identify these things. He's my first tort, and I did loads of research and tried to prepare as best I could, but I'm worried I'll make some noob mistake that screws him up forever. :( Hopefully, I just worry too much. :rolleyes:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Oh, well I guess I can check that one off the list. What are they though? What causes them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The best person to talk to about this is Chris. I think his advice is going to trump anything we have to say.

Just for discussion, it does not seem possible to me that you have 70-85% humidity in an open topped sweater box. How are you measuring? Open tops with low sided shallow boxes are about the most drying enclosure you could use.

Ambient humidity is one thing, but does he have a humid hide? Do you spray the shell?

The squiggly lines are normal. We have had a few threads on those over the years, but what I am looking at is the most recent growth lines. They are more raised and look like they are forming in a dryer environment than what Chris had them in.

About your temps: They sound okay for a tropical species. Is this what Chris recommended for your species? If yes then I'd stick to it. If not then I would adjust to whatever he recommends.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Does Littlefoot's shell look ok?

Tom said:
The best person to talk to about this is Chris. I think his advice is going to trump anything we have to say.

Just for discussion, it does not seem possible to me that you have 70-85% humidity in an open topped sweater box. How are you measuring? Open tops with low sided shallow boxes are about the most drying enclosure you could use.

Ambient humidity is one thing, but does he have a humid hide? Do you spray the shell?

The squiggly lines are normal. We have had a few threads on those over the years, but what I am looking at is the most recent growth lines. They are more raised and look like they are forming in a dryer environment than what Chris had them in.

About your temps: They sound okay for a tropical species. Is this what Chris recommended for your species? If yes then I'd stick to it. If not then I would adjust to whatever he recommends.

It's possible my thermometer thingy is off, I guess, but that's what it's telling me. It's a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe you stick in the enclosure...exoterra brand I think. My substrate stays very moist, and the top layer of moss gets misted whenever I notice it looking dry...usually 1-3 times a day. The plastic fogs up a bit so it's gotta have some humidity in there. It's got a lid on there...not closed chamber, but the only opening is the 1x1 hole in the top, so it's not completely open top either. His hide on the warm end gets a little extra spritzing, but I don't think it really classifies as a humid hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. I don't trust those pet store thermometer/hygrometer things. Get one from a hardware store and compare the readings.

If your top is mostly covered then your ambient humidity is probably okay. I would still add a humid hide.

Does he burrow down into the substrate much? That behavior sort of creates their own little humid hide.

Run this all by Chris. Take his word over mine on all of this.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yes he burrows all the time...he sleeps in his substrate more than his hides, which is why I haven't really bothered with a humid hide.

I'd like to get a better thermometer/hygrometer, but the hardware store ones have been big and bulky and in his tiny enclosure...just doesn't really seem right. I've been thinking about a temp gun...don't know which ones are recommended though.

I will shoot an email to Chris later.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Chris' response:

"He looks perfect literally. He's just growing is all. Most captive raised tortoises do get a slight "raised scute" look and believe me PLENTY if wild ones do too. You would be shocked to see what some of my wild Hermanns straight out of their natural habitats. Don't worry about it just keep up what you're doing and make sure he always has a humid hide and water to drink."

And re: temps...

"Ambient should be 75-80 but as high as 85 is fine. At night it can drop well into the 50s with no ill effects. Basking area should be 95-100."

So I can cool it down in there a little bit. :)