Does it look healthy?

PSiO0NU.jpg

cOqvRZ6.jpg

ArNOuGe.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Oh my gosh, he is soooooo cute. I love the artsy-fartsy scutes. He looks healthy to me but I am an untrained eye. Hopefully an expert will pop in. I just think he is lovely. Yowsa on his coloring. Love.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I know there are a couple members who disagree, but there is not a ton you can tell about the health of a tortoise through photos. That being said- everything does seem OK from what the photos show.

The extra scutes are usually purely cosmetic (often the result of a glitch in the incubation temps and happens in the wild as well).

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
His extra scutes makes him look very fancy and Very handsome :) But I agree with Madkins007, by the photos he looks healthy but definitely gauge his health from his behavior!

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Torts4Life! said:
His extra scutes makes him look very fancy and Very handsome :) But I agree with Madkins007, by the photos he looks healthy but definitely gauge his health from his behavior!
Saying its very fancy is your opinion, but a scute that is out of shape like that would disqualify it from being a perfect specimen to collectors and considered a flaw.

wugui the russian

5 Year Member
Yea it fine it's just deformed which in no way makes it suffer or lowers its quality of life, it just gives the tortoises character :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
SaveTheTortoise said:
Torts4Life! said:
Saying its very fancy is your opinion, but a scute that is out of shape like that would disqualify it from being a perfect specimen to collectors and considered a flaw.
Not sure this is completely true, I like 2 of mine that have extra scutes-it's like saying that anyone who's different in humans i.e. not a sheep, has flaws.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think he is gorgeous! :) I love the swirly wavy thing. Has he/she got a name yet? I'd be naming him something to do with his funky shell :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
SaveTheTortoise said:
(snip)

That is true, but the sorts of collectors who go purely by cosmetic appearances are not as common in the tortoise field as they are in other areas, like upscale snake breeding. Most experienced tortoise folk know that deformities like this are not genetic, but environmental, and as such will not affect breeding potential, which many keepers/breeders/collectors value more than the blemishes.

The really weird thing to me is that by all logic, this should SUBSTANTIALLY lower the price of the tortoise, but it usually seems to either have no effect or actually raise the price a bit.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
Anyway, thanks for replying!
I bought the yellow-foot baby, and it's very active and cute. The seller did lower the price for the "flaw", but to me, they're not flaw, those unique extra scutes really make him special. :)
From what I know.
The extra scutes happens due to the change of temperature during the incubation, not from their gene.
I just received the tortoise now. I will upload more pictures of him. :)

Thank you!

Abe

5 Year Member
East Borneo
It cant be helped since you like it.However,keep in mind that unhealthy pet can be a lot expensive in their need,care or even cure.Wish yours are a healthy one.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think he is very wabi sabi ... perfectly imperfect.
That last scute on his butt before his tail (sorry, don't know the proper lingo) looks especially cool with those 3 flared lines.
And his coloring is rad!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
We all don't fit in the same box so why should anything else....looks gorgeous to me and glad to read you got it. Just keep checking its general health :)

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Yellow foots are one of my favorite, I like them more than the reds. Don't let the flaw bother you, it's nice the seller gave you a discount. I think if a collector was looking for breeders they would be looking for perfect scute lines but as a pet it doesn't matter.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
SaveTheTortoise said:
Yellow foots are one of my favorite, I like them more than the reds. Don't let the flaw bother you, it's nice the seller gave you a discount. I think if a collector was looking for breeders they would be looking for perfect scute lines but as a pet it doesn't matter.

It doesn't bother me at all~ that's the reason I like this yellow-foot so much. the extra scutes are not flaws to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.