Does Charli Look Healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Here are a bunch of photos of Charli. He is now 1 year old, 2 months, and 17 days old. Yes, I know his birthday :)

He is pyramiding, but just 5 days ago I made him his humid hide box and got a cold mist humidifier for the room, keeping the door closed when I'm out. As you can see, the big lamp on top has to sit right on the screen as there's no where to propel it from. The lamp has a 10.0 UVB lamp in it. It's on a timer and when it goes off, a blue moon bulb turns on in the SAME LAMP. I'm thinking that what I need to do at night is actually take the whole lamp off, get another lamp for the blue light, and cover the tank so he gets more humidity.

He eats well and has bright eyes, but the sutures under his belly are pinkish. Should I worry? I'm exercising him more outdoors, though we don't have a yard, and he's very active when I do. It was snowy before so he didn't get much exercise.

I know he's already outgrown this tank and am seeing about how to get him a bigger one without having the room in my apartment. We are moving in July so I don't want to build something too crazy until we're settled elsewhere...

Does he look healthy to you? I've gone from feeding him mazuri daily to once or twice a week, and lots of greens. He has a spring mix growing in the little container in his cage.

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice once again. This forum has really changed Charli and my lives!

Oh, P.S. the two lamps are 1) ceramic heat emitter (on 24/7) and one 150 watt bulb. Also--his nails are long. What to do? The outdoor exercise will surely help that...

Attachments

• charles1.jpg
    charles1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 76
  • charles2.jpg
    charles2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 58
  • charles3.jpg
    charles3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 32
  • charles5.jpg
    charles5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 70
  • charles6.jpg
    charles6.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
  • charles4.jpg
    charles4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 43
  • charles7.jpg
    charles7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 91
  • charles8.jpg
    charles8.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 133

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Do have a MVB for him? You could put some flat rocks for him climb over to help wear his nails down like you said it will help a lot if you cover part of the tank

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
His new growth actually looks quite smooth. He will never lose those pyramids that he already has, but by the time he is 40-50lbs they will just be little "buttons."

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
his shape is a bit off.. I think once you move and get him outside.. with good diet, calcium and real sun,, he should improve.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. No, no MVB. Had one for a few days, but I actually got sick from the mercury it was emitting, if that's possible.

You really think he looks smooth? That's a relief. I'll definitely get him more sun and calcium, as well as doing the humidity thing over night.

I'm commissioning an artist friend of mine to build something for him. Anyone know of a good template?? Thank you so much.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
get a bookcase. lay it on its back. remove the shelves, line it with plastic or a shower curtain, add sustrate, hides etc. and you have a quick easy enclosure.
very little building needed.
Goodwill, yard sales etc are great places to find used book shelves for cheap.

oh, and he isnt smooth.... but the New growth is better then the old.. :)

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
An awesome idea, but it would have to be a certain size for our apartment, unfortunately. Not that such a size doesn't exist. I never thought of this! Thanks! I'm going to see what my neighborhood goodwills have :)

Laura said:
get a bookcase. lay it on its back. remove the shelves, line it with plastic or a shower curtain, add sustrate, hides etc. and you have a quick easy enclosure.
very little building needed.
Goodwill, yard sales etc are great places to find used book shelves for cheap.

oh, and he isnt smooth.... but the New growth is better then the old.. :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
mckenzieg said:
Thanks everyone. No, no MVB. Had one for a few days, but I actually got sick from the mercury it was emitting, if that's possible.

You really think he looks smooth? That's a relief. I'll definitely get him more sun and calcium, as well as doing the humidity thing over night.

I'm commissioning an artist friend of mine to build something for him. Anyone know of a good template?? Thank you so much.
[/quote

MVB bulb's don't emit mercury they put out UVB/UVA rays. are you sure that is what made you sick ?The only way it will affect you is if you broke a bulb and inhaled the dust or if you ate the mercury If you cant get your tort outside he should be under a MVB he needs UVB to work with the calcium

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
coreyc said:
MVB bulb's don't emit mercury they put out UVB/UVA rays. are you sure that is what made you sick ?The only way it will affect you is if you broke a bulb and inhaled the dust or if you ate the mercury If you cant get your tort outside he should be under a MVB he needs UVB to work with the calcium

I don't recommend eating the mercury.

You should definitely get an mvb. You can purchase a "deep dome" light fixture and make sure you point it straight down into the enclosure ( not at an angle) so that it sits about 12" above your torts shell. You won't be able to see the bulb and it certainly shouldn't make you sick. It will help your tort.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
MVB + CHE + UVB + LIGHBULB + HUMIDIFIER = all this is necessary?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
mckenzieg said:
MVB + CHE + UVB + LIGHBULB + HUMIDIFIER = all this is necessary?

MVB = UVB and Lightbulb. They MVB gives off the needed UVB/UVA that the tort needs to produce vit d3 which allows them then to use the calcium. It also gives off heat during the day so you may not need the CHE during the day, only at night if it is too cool, and the MVB also gives off light so you should not need a lightbulb. So you may only need a MVB and the humidity :0)

Good luck, I think his new growth looks great!

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
You guys are awesome. The big lamp on top of the cage IS a UVB lamp. I tried the mercury bulb, but don't have the proper set up to have it facing directly downward.

Thanks so much to all of you who said he looks good and thanks for the tips otherwise. I covered the tank last night and the humidity was much better. Going to go to a goodwill to see if I can't find a bit larger of an area for him.

Thanks again, all.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How much outside time does Charli get ? I just looked at anolder post your in Colorado right So he is probably not getting out that much this time of year the bulb you have does put out UVB but not enough for a sully you should think on getting a MVB

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I know you mentioned you had a "cool mist humidifier"...only thing i would recommend is to make sure the temps stay up in his enclosure with this, you don't want him to be cool and damp, you want to make sure he stays warm and damp as much as possible.

M

Maggie Cummings

I was just going to say that about the cool mist also...warm and wet is fine cool and wet is not.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Good to know. The temp HAS dropped some, so I'll be sure to keep an eye on that.

Yeah, he doesn't really get any outside time...I will look into an MVB as well.

Finally, I just bought a large tupperwear area for a temporary housing unit. Does anyone have any idea how to make layers? It's very deep, so it would be cool if he had little things he could walk up/under, etc. I can fathom this...maybe little wooden walkways covered in coir. Anybody have any ideas?

THANKS

So you think a hot mist humidifier would be better? Also--what wattage on the MVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.