Does anyone use the Zoo Med Tortoise Houses I notice they are really on sale at amazo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
They are on super sale and I was wondering about getting 1 for two Red foots. I live in Arkansas so they can stay out during the day May, June, July and August and some of September.

Anyway the tortoise houses are on sale for 86 at Amazon
http://amzn.com/B00167S5EY

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi LRTortoises:

Those pre-manufactured tortoise houses aren't big enough. Its so easy to throw together a habitat, even out of scrap lumber. A lot cheaper too. You could probably make a nice 4'x8' habitat for around $50.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
With some minor modifications, they can be linked together to create a larger enclosure. I like them alot because they have well-made, secure lids that can be locked (keeping out both four and two-legged pests).

They are expensive. Great for a hatching, but you'll need to link at least 3 to make a decent-sized home for a small adult - that gets pricey at $86 each.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I travel some and so my torts will have to be able to visit number for a week at a time every now and then so I thought this might be a good option.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I was looking at them for my leopard hatchling. The only real benefit I see with the Tortoise House over any old container that size is that it locks. It would keep curious hands off the tortoise when I'm not home. But the hide area seems to take up too much room. I don't think a tiny tortoise would need that big of an area to sleep. I also see that the wood can warp when it gets wet.

I wouldn't mind making something like this that locks, but having the entire thing open. Then add a hide box. Also a plastic liner to keep the wood dry.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
RE: Does anyone use the Zoo Med Tortoise Houses I notice they are really on sale at

emysemys said:
Hi LRTortoises:

Those pre-manufactured tortoise houses aren't big enough. Its so easy to throw together a habitat, even out of scrap lumber. A lot cheaper too. You could probably make a nice 4'x8' habitat for around $50.

I need to start gathering plans for tables. Echo is getting to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.