Does anyone use small dehydrators?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hi everyone!
I was thinking of ways I can keep some of these great summer weeds/plants for my baby during winter and thought maybe I should get a dehydrator. I already have some great stuff from Kapidolo Farms and thought I would try it with some stuff I have here too. I only have 1 tortoise so I don't need anything commercial size or anything, just enough for a little bit stocked up.

Does any one have any experience with this or recommendations on how to do it? I just thought it might be fun.

Thanks all!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi everyone!
I was thinking of ways I can keep some of these great summer weeds/plants for my baby during winter and thought maybe I should get a dehydrator. I already have some great stuff from Kapidolo Farms and thought I would try it with some stuff I have here too. I only have 1 tortoise so I don't need anything commercial size or anything, just enough for a little bit stocked up.

Does any one have any experience with this or recommendations on how to do it? I just thought it might be fun.

Thanks all!
I collect flowers all summer and dry them for winter. I just lay them out flat on a cardboard box or plastic storage bin lid. If you try it make sure they're spaced apart and not piled up or they'll mold. They dry in a few days then I store them in Mason jars.IMG_20200530_112245350.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi everyone!

Thanks all!

Will of @Kapidolo Farms is very helpful in suggesting ways to do some of this yourself. I know he suggests using the simply, hanging drying baskets in a room with a circulating fan. He even made a post recently on one he uses. They are commonly sold now for people growing marijuana. Good air circulation and a lower heat seems the best combination. These baskets or racks allow air circulation both top and bottom of the leaves or flowers you are drying.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I collect flowers all summer and dry them for winter. I just lay them out flat on a cardboard box or plastic storage bin lid. If you try it make sure they're spaced apart and not piled up or they'll mold. They dry in a few days then I store them in Mason jars.View attachment 296049
That seems easy enough! Just have to keep my 11 yr old from knocking it over ?

Will of @Kapidolo Farms is very helpful in suggesting ways to do some of this yourself. I know he suggests using the simply, hanging drying baskets in a room with a circulating fan. He even made a post recently on one he uses. They are commonly sold now for people growing marijuana. Good air circulation and a lower heat seems the best combination. These baskets or racks allow air circulation both top and bottom of the leaves or flowers you are drying.
Ok cool! I did a search, but im not great with putting the best search words in so I probably missed it...
My husband actually has a drying rack like that i think for his medical Marijuana because of his seizures... i wonder if I can borrow it between his harvests.... i wasn't sure how some of those leaves would do because I'm horrible with plants on all levels lol
Thanks for the input!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That seems easy enough! Just have to keep my 11 yr old from knocking it over ?

Ok cool! I did a search, but im not great with putting the best search words in so I probably missed it...
My husband actually has a drying rack like that i think for his medical Marijuana because of his seizures... i wonder if I can borrow it between his harvests.... i wasn't sure how some of those leaves would do because I'm horrible with plants on all levels lol
Thanks for the input!!

drying rack.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I must add that although it is nice to do some things ourselves, drying leaves and flowers does take time and space. And it will take about 10lbs of something to give you 1lb of dried. Buying from @Kapidolo Farms with the pure organic items ends up being well worth it vs the effort of doing yourself and knowing with Kapidolo you are ending up with a much better quality.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I must add that although it is nice to do some things ourselves, drying leaves and flowers does take time and space. And it will take about 10lbs of something to give you 1lb of dried. Buying from @Kapidolo Farms with the pure organic items ends up being well worth it vs the effort of doing yourself and knowing with Kapidolo you are ending up with a much better quality.
I know his quality is top knotch and my tortoise loves his stuff, I was just looking for something to do really. I'm a quiet person who loves to read and enjoy little things so I thought it might be fun/ relaxing ?
I have probably 10 different varieties from Will and plan on getting more for sure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know his quality is top knotch and my tortoise loves his stuff, I was just looking for something to do really. I'm a quiet person who loves to read and enjoy little things so I thought it might be fun/ relaxing ?
I have probably 10 different varieties from Will and plan on getting more for sure!
I have some paint you can watch dry. :p

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I thought about doing this as well and realized the amount of effort involved was not worth the 4 clicks and $29 it takes to get @Kapidolo Farms quality service and dried good delivered right to my door. That said if you have the time it might just be worth it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's an enjoyable hobby. I always hang mine on a rope. I twist tie little bunches together and then hang those on a rope that's tied like a clothes line. I like the idea of the baskets even better. Keepsake drying is fun too.

KBeam

Central Illinois
Hi everyone!

Thanks all!
In Oklahoma you should be able to dry on screens in the sun. I would look on Pinterest for someone drying herbs for ideas.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For small amounts you can use a sweater drying rack like this, as an example. The first Cactus chips were made on some of these in 2015. They ended up being too interesting to my cat. Hanging trays from the ceiling for drying leafy things has worked out better. A dehydrator for thick things like cactus chips.

Hi everyone!

Thanks all!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
In Oklahoma you should be able to dry on screens in the sun. I would look on Pinterest for someone drying herbs for ideas.
Temps would be fine, but its crazy windy here, I think I would loose a lot of it lol, I did look on pinterest though and saw lots of good ideas!
For small amounts you can use a sweater drying rack like this, as an example. The first Cactus chips were made on some of these in 2015. They ended up being too interesting to my cat. Hanging trays from the ceiling for drying leafy things has worked out better. A dehydrator for thick things like cactus chips.

Thanks so much!!! I just figured it would be enjoyable for me on a small scale and I know I have a lot around me my tortoise would benefit from ? he absolutely loves your great stuff that I bought so I figured, Why not?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

ive been using a small Nesco dehydrator for years now. Very easy to dehydrate food for your tort & you. I recently cut up 10 or so large Opuntia cactus pads & turned them into one small bag of goodies. Later on, i rehydrated them in a beaker, they plumped up & were devoured by our Sully. Same with dandelion & kale.

✅ - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Nesco-Nesco-Snackmaster-Express-Food-Dehydrator/1001847908