Does anyone know what plant this is?

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
It looks like a large-leafed Aster. But it is much further along than mine are (New Jersey)...

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The Aster family is kind of between Daisies (don't feed) and Chicories (do feed)...I don't know any reason that they cannot be nibbled, but they may not be tasty.

I'd love someone at a more southern latitude chime in about ID...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Where are you seeing this plant? In your perennial garden, in the woods...etc?

Those leaves look very much like our hydrangea that are pushing now BUT I doubt it is one. Make sure you properly ID before feeding random plants.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Those look like beauty berry leaves to me. Idk where brooksville is, but in the pic I can see some familiar weeds that are found here in north Florida. The berries are edible for humans to eat, not sure about anything related to tortoise though. We have several of those plants on our property.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Also, it is either too young or not in the season yet to have berries, youll know for sure if it is a beauty berry plant if it has purple small berries eventually.

AmandaTX

Houston, TX
A great resource for identifying and learning new plants is iNaturalist https://www.inaturalist.org/

You download the app, take a photo and enter location data, then citizen scientists will help with ID. Photos/ observations considered "research grade" are available for researchers to download to use in actual scientific studies. For those of you budding biologists, there are also tons of pictures you can help identify! I use this app with my college level environmental science students and love it.