Does anyone else’s tortoise sleep like this?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Yes, this is very normal. I remember the first time I walked in on my tortoise sleeping like this, out in the open. I thought he had passed away, thankfully when I said his name he lifted up his head with an annoyed look on his face lol

Your tortoise is very cute!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yes you have a relaxed tortoise feeling safe. They also like to burrow and leave only top scute showing. FYI:The sand substrate can cause impaction as it gets eaten with the food. Have a read of the care sheet but orchid bark is recommended with added benefit to dampen and get some humidity which aids smooth shell growth.

TacoHermanooo

Manchester
Yes you have a relaxed tortoise feeling safe. They also like to burrow and leave only top scute showing. FYI:The sand substrate can cause impaction as it gets eaten with the food. Have a read of the care sheet but orchid bark is recommended with added benefit to dampen and get some humidity which aids smooth shell growth.
Thank youu for your advice I will definitely look into changing this ??

Beads86

Uk
When I find my tortoise sleeping like that I'm really happy because I know she feels safe and comfortable sleeping out in the open instead of buried in her substrate! :)
Oooh I’m so happy to read this! I’ve had my little Clive a couple of weeks and found him sleeping like that last night when I went to turn his light off! He also took a bit of food from my hand when I was feeding him yesterday. He has been rewarded with a little strawberry today which he wolfed down. Looks like he has been involved in a massacre but so cute ?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes, this is very normal. I remember the first time I walked in on my tortoise sleeping like this, out in the open. I thought he had passed away, thankfully when I said his name he lifted up his head with an annoyed look on his face lol

Your tortoise is very cute!
Even I thought that Oli was dead (God forbid) when I saw him sleep like that the first time.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan