Do you need an indoor enclosure if you have an outdoor one?

fern+fl0ra

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
Sorry if this question has a really simple answer! I'm a little confused on whether or not you have to have an indoor enclosure for your tort if you have an outdoor enclosure for them?

I am thinking of adopting an adult Russian, but I need to make an enclosure for him and get it approved before I can. I want to make sure he's as happy and stress-free as possible, so since I've heard that Russians do best outdoors, I plan on making an outdoor enclosure for him first. (Bigger than 4x8) If I make an outdoor enclosure, will I also need to make an indoor enclosure for him as well? I live in Washington (state) and I know that temperatures will drop come fall/winter. (still mild temps though, never snows here) Can Russians stay warm enough throughout the winter if I provided a heat source for them in their hideaway? I think I've seen a few people use dog houses attached to the outdoor enclosures?

I have the space available to have both indoor and outdoor, but I wanted to know if it is necessary in case I could be saving money by only building one!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Have you ruled out hibernating your Russian during the winter? They still slow down during winter even if you provide heat.

fern+fl0ra

Iowa, USA
Have you ruled out hibernating your Russian during the winter? They still slow down during winter even if you provide heat.

I'm a little weary on it. I haven't done much research on hibernating tortoises admittedly, but from what I have read, it can be hard for beginners like myself.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises that hibernate, should not be the first year you own them. This gives you time to be sure he has no health issues and is healthy enough to actually do it.
If you provide a proper heated hide that has room for him to roam when too cold outside, there shouldn't be no reason you can't leave him outside. If your nights get really cold, you could bring him in at night into a simple box to sleep and then put him back out daily

fern+fl0ra

Iowa, USA
Tortoises that hibernate, should not be the first year you own them. This gives you time to be sure he has no health issues and is healthy enough to actually do it.
If you provide a proper heated hide that has room for him to roam when too cold outside, there shouldn't be no reason you can't leave him outside. If your nights get really cold, you could bring him in at night into a simple box to sleep and then put him back out daily

Thanks, Wellington!