Do Tortoises respond to their names?

karen1234

Location (City and/or State)
hertfordshire
New expecting tortoise parent here (we are adopting a CA desert tortoise from the state and he arrives this weekend).

Is there solid evidence that tortoises recognize/ respond to the name they've been given? I would think it would make sense from an evolutionary standpoint for creatures with such long lives to have good memories, and also recognize similar sounds.
I'm asking because our adoptee, a 50yr old male, comes to us with the name "Bobo". No idea where he got it or how long he has had it. It isn't a name I would have picked myself, but I've warmed up to it and if the tortoise is likely to "know" his name I will certainly keep it.

Thoughts?
hi yes they deffo get to no there name mine comes every time i call him ,,its not just because he heres my voice because he only comes when i call him i have a video of him doing just that

karen1234

hertfordshire
hi yes they deffo get to no there name mine comes every time i call him ,,its not just because he heres my voice because he only comes when i call him i have a video of him doing just that
[/QUOT https
New expecting tortoise parent here (we are adopting a CA desert tortoise from the state and he arrives this weekend).

Is there solid evidence that tortoises recognize/ respond to the name they've been given? I would think it would make sense from an evolutionary standpoint for creatures with such long lives to have good memories, and also recognize similar sounds.
I'm asking because our adoptee, a 50yr old male, comes to us with the name "Bobo". No idea where he got it or how long he has had it. It isn't a name I would have picked myself, but I've warmed up to it and if the tortoise is likely to "know" his name I will certainly keep it.

Thoughts?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Your dog will respond to your voice calling it's name on a phone call or recording. It may be confused since it cannot hear or see you, but it will perk it's ears and look for you, and generally respond to any command you make.

Turtles and tortoises won't do this. When they seem to be responding, it is to something else. This can be hard for us to understand since sound forms such an important part of how we learn, communicate, and interact with the world around us.

karen1234

hertfordshire
Your dog will respond to your voice calling it's name on a phone call or recording. It may be confused since it cannot hear or see you, but it will perk it's ears and look for you, and generally respond to any command you make.

Turtles and tortoises won't do this. When they seem to be responding, it is to something else. This can be hard for us to understand since sound forms such an important part of how we learn, communicate, and interact with the world around us.
sorry i have to disagree as mine comes when i call him even when he is asleep in his sleep compartment in the table

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
I find that if you palm a strawberry, walk up to the sulcata pen and discreetly hang it of the edge, your friends will be super impressed as the tort sprints to you! Works every time.

I agree with Madkins, in my experience it is almost always a feeding response. That doesn't mean they know you have food, just that they know by time of day or your presence, etc... and do a food check.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sorry i have to disagree as mine comes when i call him even when he is asleep in his sleep compartment in the table
What madkins referred to is OTHER subtle clues we send the tortoise when we call his name - air movement as we approach, touching something in the enclosure, etc. The way to test this is to call the tortoise from your phone as said above.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I find that if you palm a strawberry, walk up to the sulcata pen and discreetly hang it of the edge, your friends will be super impressed as the tort sprints to you! Works every time.

I agree with Madkins, in my experience it is almost always a feeding response. That doesn't mean they know you have food, just that they know by time of day or your presence, etc... and do a food check.
For me it is dandelions being show they come running which makes the outing to pick them rewarding.