Do tortoises prefer owner's scent over something strange?

VJRDuran

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn Park
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve had Scooter climb into my fleece and flannel shirts, digging down into my sleeves. I think I sent pictures of him in my fleece hoodie, and today it’s my red flannel shirt.

So, not being too thrilled with the idea of Scooter possibly digging holes into my clothes, I ran to the thrift store, bought the biggest ugliest flannel shirt I could buy and brought it home. I put it on and picked up Scooter to see what he would do. Repeatedly he got away from that shirt. (I hadn’t washed it yet and carried some cologne type smell.) So, while still wearing Scooter’s shirt, I draped my shirt across my knees to see what he would do. He got away from his shirt and crawled back into mine.

Question: does he recognize the scent of his people and finds comfort in crawling into the clothes carrying our scent? If so, I guess I’ll be wearing his shirt for a while until my scent is all over it, and then perhaps he will dig into it and sleep. Would like to know what you think about that.

If I could carry on a conversation with our tortoise, this is probably would it would have sounded like:

Me: Look Scooter, the sun is out and it is so warm!
Scooter: Yeah, whatever.
Me: Scooter, don't you like the warmth?
Scooter: I sniff your shirt. Smells like you.
Me: Where do you want to go?
Scooter: I crawl into your hands.
Me: (Scooter works his way up to my chest.) Where are you going?
Scooter: I crawl inside your shirt. It's warm. Smells like you.
Me: O-Kay... this is interesting. Hey! You're going down my sleeve!
Scooter: Yep, sleeve nice. Cozy. Smells good.
Me: "Daughter, I need help!"
Scooter: NO!!! Don't pull me out!
Me: I'll tell you what, I'll go to the thrift store and buy you your own flannel shirt. You can claw and dig and bury all you want in it.
Scooter: I don't know....
Me (Later, wearing Scooter's own shirt.) Look Scooter, here is your very own shirt.
Scooter: Yuck. Doesn't smell like you. I don't like it. I crawl into your shirt. (Makes his way down to my lap where my shirt was.)
Me: Well, I guess we wash your shirt, and I wear it until it smells like me.
Scooter: I go back into your shirt.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...hNsp9TimnmyVEjylX1UfqaaHBCFYy_Ck&__tn__=*bH-R

Attachments

• 20201030_151220.jpg
    20201030_151220.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 92
  • 20201025_140936.jpg
    20201025_140936.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

er9m

5 Year Member
EU
I think they does recognize. But another thing, if i see right, your tortoise eyes in photos looks sunken, and this is not good.

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
CarolS is Scooter's breeder and she has seen very recent pictures of him. She reported to me that he looks happy and healthy. I sent her an email with these pictures this evening. I'll see what she says, but I think it is just the angle the picture was taken because often from a certain angle, his eyes almost look puffy. They aren't but it almost looks like it until I change my angle.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise like to hide and your shirt is providing a hiding place. They tend not to be toilet trained do watch out if you let them roam!

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
Tortoise like to hide and your shirt is providing a hiding place. They tend not to be toilet trained do watch out if you let them roam!
Thus, he has his own shirt. He is currently digging around in his now-washed, I've-worn shirt, and has already put a little hole it in from his claws.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve had Scooter climb into my fleece and flannel shirts, digging down into my sleeves. I think I sent pictures of him in my fleece hoodie, and today it’s my red flannel shirt.

So, not being too thrilled with the idea of Scooter possibly digging holes into my clothes, I ran to the thrift store, bought the biggest ugliest flannel shirt I could buy and brought it home. I put it on and picked up Scooter to see what he would do. Repeatedly he got away from that shirt. (I hadn’t washed it yet and carried some cologne type smell.) So, while still wearing Scooter’s shirt, I draped my shirt across my knees to see what he would do. He got away from his shirt and crawled back into mine.

Question: does he recognize the scent of his people and finds comfort in crawling into the clothes carrying our scent? If so, I guess I’ll be wearing his shirt for a while until my scent is all over it, and then perhaps he will dig into it and sleep. Would like to know what you think about that.

If I could carry on a conversation with our tortoise, this is probably would it would have sounded like:

Me: Look Scooter, the sun is out and it is so warm!
Scooter: Yeah, whatever.
Me: Scooter, don't you like the warmth?
Scooter: I sniff your shirt. Smells like you.
Me: Where do you want to go?
Scooter: I crawl into your hands.
Me: (Scooter works his way up to my chest.) Where are you going?
Scooter: I crawl inside your shirt. It's warm. Smells like you.
Me: O-Kay... this is interesting. Hey! You're going down my sleeve!
Scooter: Yep, sleeve nice. Cozy. Smells good.
Me: "Daughter, I need help!"
Scooter: NO!!! Don't pull me out!
Me: I'll tell you what, I'll go to the thrift store and buy you your own flannel shirt. You can claw and dig and bury all you want in it.
Scooter: I don't know....
Me (Later, wearing Scooter's own shirt.) Look Scooter, here is your very own shirt.
Scooter: Yuck. Doesn't smell like you. I don't like it. I crawl into your shirt. (Makes his way down to my lap where my shirt was.)
Me: Well, I guess we wash your shirt, and I wear it until it smells like me.
Scooter: I go back into your shirt.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...hNsp9TimnmyVEjylX1UfqaaHBCFYy_Ck&__tn__=*bH-R

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
My little Cholla likes to crawl up my chest, under my shirt or a light blanket, then hides and snuggles under my chin. Or moves over and nibbbles on my neck sometimes. She seems to want to do this only with me. I too have wondered about the smell. It's flattering to imagine she likes my smell above all others. WIth Scooter the evidence sure seems to point in that direction. Great pix. So very cute.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Like he hates other clothing when your holding him?
Pretty sure most animals are going to be taken back by a strangers clothing...

Last edited:

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
Like he hates other clothing when your holding him?
Pretty sure most animals are going to be taken back by a strangers clothing...
I recently built him a little hut and put in a super soft cloth we had around the house. But the hut needed something more, so we bought a little gray stoll like thing from the thrift store. When he went into the hut, he essentially dug and kicked out the gray stoll and didn't bother the soft cloth.

Attachments

• 20201026_151023.jpg
    20201026_151023.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 42

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I recently built him a little hut and put in a super soft cloth we had around the house. But the hut needed something more, so we bought a little gray stoll like thing from the thrift store. When he went into the hut, he essentially dug and kicked out the gray stoll and didn't bother the soft cloth.
Oh I’d say they just don’t like new things. They get “familiar” with their stuff and areas. Every time I put a new cinder block barrier in Koopas enclosure she paces against it, or would not go in the hut I made her for her lawn....